I have found
a few little perks about old age that I hadn’t thought about before.
I thought it
was just a steady downhill struggle. . .
Slowly losing
your eyesight, hearing, motor skills, memory, joints, digestive system, nervous
system, hair, skin, nails,
Until you’re
gone.
The bonuses I
realized after I visited my doctor last week for some insurance-mandated tests.
Mammograms are not recommended anymore.
A colonoscopy is not recommended anymore.
It is not recommended I have the other
side of my thyroid out even though the first side was cancerous.
I have strenuously
rejected prescription drugs and at one time tried to get completely off them
Even though
my cholesterol was 300, I had Hashimotos disease, arthritis, acid reflux,
and osteoporosis.
Now I happily
swallow pills for all of the above as well as a high blood pressure pill,
plus a
multitude of vitamins and minerals that threaten to bankrupt us.
Know why I
don’t have to have the tests and don’t mind taking the drugs?
Because I’m so old that I will probably die
before any of them get me.
It’s surprisingly
liberating.
Old age, you
are my friend.
I embrace
you.
The last
test the insurance company insisted on
Was for
depression.
I just
answered everything to give me the healthiest score.
It’s none of
their business.
Why would I
want to kill myself?
It happens
naturally; plus
I have too
much to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment