Wednesday, January 20, 2016

We all make mistakes..

That’s what Ed told his dad when he went in to make his bed at midnight last night.
Earlier in the day, I had gone in his room to make up his bed with the clean sheets. I had left my watch downstairs and I needed to know if I had time to make the bed before fixing dinner because I had to leave for club at 5:30. He would neither tell me what time it was nor let me look at his watch. Then he called me a gosh-awful name so I walked out telling him that I wasn’t going to make up his bed and if he ever called either of his parents that again, we would find him someplace else to live. I didn’t talk to him for the rest of the day. I didn’t floss his teeth, put oil on his eye and lips, or lotion on his chapped hands. When bedtime came, I went to bed. He was still sitting up when his dad came up at midnight.
“We all make mistakes,” he tells his dad.
That melted my heart. All day I had been thinking about all the mistakes I have made through the years.
When he came in to apologize—“I’m sorry, Mom, do you forgive me?”, he counseled, “If you want to know the time, look in the kitchen.”
It’s true, we have five clocks in the kitchen, but I was upstairs and needed to know if I had time to make his bed before going down.
“We all make mistakes."

No comments: