Sunday, January 10, 2016

The Housekeeping Evolution

When we lived in Stadium Village
On the University of Utah campus
As newly weds
A 9x12 rug swathed the entire floor.
A small kitchen with bamboo covered the cupboards
A half sink, hot plate, roaster oven;
A shower, toilet, no sink for a bathroom.
Thanksgiving Dinner Stadium Village 1957
Lynn, Juanita, DeRay, Jeanette, Mama, Verla, Carol

We lived in this one-room apartment for three years.
And I had my hair cut short.

Working full time,
PHTC
I had no choice but to clean on Saturday.
It still took me several hours.
Small is harder than larger.
Where to put everything?
Our first home in Orem
After we remodeled it
Was a breeze.
1160 square feet.
Three bedrooms.
A bath and a half.
Whoever dreamed of such luxury and wealth?
Our best friends in Orem. Maynard & JoAnn Erickson. Childless too.
Eventually, they had two sons who grew up to be doctors.
Maynard died 20 years ago. We still keep in touch with JoAnn, a retired school teacher.



Mama, Carol, Verla, Jeanette, DeRay Orem 1962
I'm showing off here. When you wait 7 years to get pregnant, it's a BIG DEAL.

DeRay & Brent 1963
Still cleaning on Saturday while working
Or going to school.
After the children came along
And I was a stay-at-home mom,
I cleaned the entire house on Friday.
Layton – Farmington – West Layton – Bountiful - Kaysville.

 
 Brent with cousins Jayson, Todd & Tim Esplin 1964 Farmington

With the Swapps in Farmington
Craig, Sharon, Janet, Dick & Brent Swapp.
DeRay, Jeanette & Brent Hugh
 Jeanette & Brent Farmington 1964
Carol, Verla holding Brent with Stephen Bailey Farmington
Lucy and Mama with Effie and Brent, West Layton 1965
Brent in West Layton
Building our new home in Bountiful 1966 Brent, Jeanette, DeRay
Brent's 4th Birthday with cousin Tena Esplin, sister Jeanne and friend, Owen Reeder

DeRay and Uncle Grant putting a roof on the deck.
The home DeRay built on the outskirts of Kaysville. 1975
Jeanne, Brooke, Jeanette, Amy Lyn, Eddy, DeRay
With Grantma and Grandpa Pugh in conversation pit
Brent, Eddy, Brooke, Amy Lyn, Jeanne
Amy's birthday party showing off the Indian Room
Amy, Eddy, Brooke & friends. 1976

I learned that from my mother.
Mop, vacuum, dust, clean good once a week.
Eventually, as the children left home,
I decided every other week would do.
Then once a month.
Now instead of cleaning everything in one day
I would clean one room each day.
1)        Kitchen.
2)               Baths – four now.
3)               Living, dining, family room.
4)               Upstairs.
One day for discretionary; (before Amy moved home I cleaned the basement).
Saturdays free.
That’s a lot of pressure in one week
When you’re trying to do something with Eddy
Each morning.
Usually it’s 2 before lunch is over and cleaned up.
Then I have to start fixing dinner at 4.
What if I’m tired after working out at the gym?
Getting along in years, you know.
So now –
I clean the upstairs (my least favorite of all projects)
One week; Day 1) bedrooms, Day 2) vacuum two flights of stairs, upholstery; Day 3)computer room.
And the other cleaning projects the next week.
Then I rest.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I am impressed with your schedule! I do light stuff and then periodically when the mood strikes, I go on CLEANING BINGES like I have been since the beginning of the year. Maybe if I set up a schedule like you, I wouldn't have to do my binges....Something to work on, thanks for being the example!