When you
read this you'll know I've traded my body, that was ready to leave, for a new
experience. I am Ardis Ann (Irving) Anderson Alder. I died peacefully on
Monday, May 9, 2016. I was the daughter of Mae Erickson Anderson and William
Walton Irving. I was born in Logan, Utah on August 30, 1930. I had one half-sister,
Betty Fifield and two half-brothers, Thomas Kenneth Anderson and Wendon Nellie
Anderson.
The best
thing I ever did was to marry my lifelong love, Val Dean Alder, on May 1, 1953,
in the Logan LDS Temple. The most holy thing I've done was to have my three
children: Ryan Val Alder, Leanne Alder Smith and Marianne Alder Kittleson. The
words aren't there to express the heart songs they brought me.
My
membership in the Church gave me opportunities to grow spiritually and fed that
part of me that yearned for a closeness with Heavenly Father and my Savior,
Jesus Christ. The smartest thing I ever did was to start my college education
at age 48. I graduated in 1984 with honors and a sense of pure joy. Cheers to
that happy decade: my 50's!
The most
soul-satisfying thing I've ever done was to realize my insatiable, ongoing
discovery of the world and of life through my love of reading. Words have been
my souls blessing. My love of gardening came because I couldn't not do it. It
was part of me. My favorite season, Fall, was a replenishment for me, a reward
for endurance, a time of quintessential beauty. To all friends I've loved,
thank you, thank you!! "Think where mans glory begins and ends, and say my
glory was to have such friends."
Ardis was
preceded in death by her husband, Val; and an infant son, Rob. She is survived
by one son and two daughters: Ryan Val Alder (Kevin) of SLC, Utah; Leanne Smith
(Lynn) of Bedford, WY; and Marianne Kittleson (Stephen) of Preston, ID. She has
eight grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
A
celebration of Ardis’ life will be held at the Whitney, Idaho LDS Church on
Saturday, May 14, 2016 at noon. As per Ardis’ request, there will not be a
viewing. Interment will be in the Whitney Cemetery.
Verla
wrote: “I thought her obituary was well written and heartwarming.” She told
Ryan she was going to use it for her own; just change a few names.
I
lamented that I didn’t have her write mine before she left this frail
existence.
Ed,
in his usual sweet sensitive way, said: “I love Ardis, Mom. I can’t believe she
died today. You know what that means? She doesn’t have to suffer anymore.
Another thing, she will be missed.”
When
Ed was little we bumped into Ardis at Bowman’s. As we chatted, Ed interrupted,
asking Ardis if she could come over to our house and play.
Aridis
and I wrote roadshows and skits together. I think she was the genius
behind all of them and I was good at the
productions. That was back in the day before correlation when more talents were
utilized and free expression was valued. Now the most anyone can do is mimic a
general conference talk in general terms.
In
the prayer at the cemetery, the x-bishop in describing her, among other things
called her quirky. “Quirky?” Is that
what we call someone who doesn’t always fall for the party line, and believes
in her own access to inspiration? Is that what we call an intelligent,
decisive, and independent woman? She taught me to think for myself; to reason
things out; to not accept the status quo just because the brethren said so.
When Marianne called to tell me that she had died that morning, she read me a note that she had left me: "To Jeanette Hugh. Friend of my soul, who helps me realize who and what I am."
An interesting side note: When Marianne went over, she was sitting on the toilet with her head back, her feet firmly planted on the floor, with toilet paper still in her hand. She was still warm. Marianne felt her presence. She told her that she would be OK, for her to go ahead and go. She managed to get her on the floor, pull her pants up, put a pillow under her head and a blanket over her. As soon as she was presentable, Marianne felt her mother leave. When emergency personnel arrived, they scolded her for moving her. "My mom was dignified. She would not have liked to be seen with her pants down," Marianne explained. Her dad died on the toilet too (in the hospital), nine years ago.
Goodbye, my friend, goodbye.
When Marianne called to tell me that she had died that morning, she read me a note that she had left me: "To Jeanette Hugh. Friend of my soul, who helps me realize who and what I am."
An interesting side note: When Marianne went over, she was sitting on the toilet with her head back, her feet firmly planted on the floor, with toilet paper still in her hand. She was still warm. Marianne felt her presence. She told her that she would be OK, for her to go ahead and go. She managed to get her on the floor, pull her pants up, put a pillow under her head and a blanket over her. As soon as she was presentable, Marianne felt her mother leave. When emergency personnel arrived, they scolded her for moving her. "My mom was dignified. She would not have liked to be seen with her pants down," Marianne explained. Her dad died on the toilet too (in the hospital), nine years ago.
Goodbye, my friend, goodbye.
It
was harder to see her go than I thought it would be. I haven’t seen or talked
to her in four years. She didn’t answer her phone when I called; didn’t respond
to my cards. At one time, I thought we would be like John Adams and Thomas
Jefferson and correspondent to the end. It didn’t turn out that way.* The friend
who influences your critical thinking and most cherished values is the friend
who leaves a void in your life.
Goodbye, my friend,
goodbye
It’s good to need you so
It’s good to love you like
I do
And to feel this way
When I hear you say,
goodbye.
Hello, my friend, Hello
Neil Diamond Lyrics
The Jazz Singer 1980
In my Lifetime 1996
President Ezra Taft Benson is buried
in that small cemetery in Whitney, Idaho;
as well as Ardis and Val Dean Alder;
and my sister Shirley's granddaughter,
Whitney Hart.
One more according to Shirley Corless:: an x-ward member,, Jack Winward.
We can't figure out why the Alder headstone is behind the graves.
I asked Marianne about this. She said it used to be
in front of their graves but for some reason the city moved it to the rear.
I asked her when her mother decided to be cremated. Last I heard she
wanted to be buried in a plain pine box. Marianne said her Dad knew
so it's been at least 15 years. She said her dad's burial was about $10,000;
her mother's $3,000. It only cost $100 to be in a vault in the cemetery.
One more according to Shirley Corless:: an x-ward member,, Jack Winward.
We can't figure out why the Alder headstone is behind the graves.
I asked Marianne about this. She said it used to be
in front of their graves but for some reason the city moved it to the rear.
I asked her when her mother decided to be cremated. Last I heard she
wanted to be buried in a plain pine box. Marianne said her Dad knew
so it's been at least 15 years. She said her dad's burial was about $10,000;
her mother's $3,000. It only cost $100 to be in a vault in the cemetery.
*Marianne
explained
that she was beginning to repeat herself and forgetting things.
She
knew it.
She had always prided herself on her intelligence
and she was ashamed.
She felt comfortable with the simple folks
in her ward in Preston
and so she
shut everyone else out the last few years.

1 comment:
It's nice to know that she will live on in you...
What a beautiful tribute!
Post a Comment