Sunday, May 1, 2016

East Winds (Sonnet 1)

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.
I hate thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach; you are such a fright.
Gusting at 90 mph triggering ruin and malaise
I hate thee to the level of every day’s
Most noisy need, relentlessly you smite.
I hate thee freely, do you do it for spite?
I hate thee purely, as your roar and destroy
I hate thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith
I hate thee with a hate I cannot lose
With memories of scattered shingles
Siding, damaged cars; a fallen blue spruce.
I shall but hate thee better until I’m a dead goose.

OK – So I’m no Elizabeth Barrett Browning.


Gov. Gary Herbert on Sunday visited five sites in Weber and Davis counties, where residents were recovering from damage left behind by an overnight windstorm. One of his stops was a green­waste collection site in Farmington, where hundreds of volunteers were busy bringing in debris from toppled trees and busted branches. “It’s who Utah is and what we do,” Herbert said of the volunteers. “When there’s adversity, they step up and say, ‘What can we do?’ They don’t wait on the government. They help each other.” He also acknowledged the help of faith-­based groups and law enforcement in the cleanup. The Utah governor said he appreciated the “early warning” for residents to “batten down the hatches.” Nearly 40,000 Utahns lost power in the storm, according to Rocky Mountain Power spokesman Dave Eskelsen. Most the outages, the result of downed power lines from gusts that topped 90 mph, took place in Weber and Davis counties. As of 12:30 p.m. Sunday, the utility had sent out 115 workers to help repair damage, including troubleshooters and tree trimmers. Strong winds also contributed to numerous traffic accidents Sunday, including one that shut down a 10­mile stretch of Interstate 15 for two hours. Salt Lake Tribune. May 1, 2016
Our French doors blew open.
Some wards cancelled; some wards held only sacrament meeting.
We held all three because that's what Joy wanted.
Joy is the Bishop's wife.
I love it when women make important decisions
at high levels;
Even though they passed if off as a joke.
Sunday Evening Sunset - A Peace Offering?
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Monday at 4:15, our TV service was restored.

2 comments:

desplingca said...

You and Elizabeth are a team.

Melissa said...

I wondered how you survived....it was bad here, so I figured it had to be AWFUL there...