Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Pen Pals 2

     Daddy was out on the Arizona Strip shepherding his sheep during the winters of 1945, 1946, and 1947. He wrote letters to Mama and each of his seven then eight children. (Daddy always wrote with an indelible pencil.)



Upside down: Jeanette - some of your letters haven't got names on the outside because I couldn't find a place to write it.





     Mama, working full time as Orderville's Post Master, wrote weekly to each of her eight children. DeLoy has carried on her tradition, writing each week to each of his children and all his brothers and sisters and perhaps others. How am I to know who unknown recipients are? The difference is, Mama hand wrote each letter. DeLoy types one letter and sends it to all. Don't we live in a wonderful age? My sister, Shirley, has been a legendary letter-writer through the years. In the early years, she typed but as she got older she enjoyed writing hand-written notes.



Orderville, Utah
June 26, 1973
Good Morning Pughs, - I staid out and weeded until I got soaking wet with sweat, so decided it was time to quit.  I have all my garden weeded and over half of Nan’s, so I guess I’ll let her finish and I will work on my flower garden tonight.  Now between the next watering turns I hope I don’t have to weed.  Some of our tomato plants are dieing of the wilt, so maybe it is a good thing I did get more than everyone thot I needed.  I’m sure I’ll have plenty for you Folks so bring your bottles down and I’ll fill them for you.
We had Ward Conference Sunday – and I surely enjoyed it – wish you all could have been here.  Pres. Washburn is surely a man of faith.  He said being active in the Church and active in the Gospel is two different things.  He mentioned repentance, studying scripture and fasting and praying for someone a different day than the Lord’s designated Fast Sunday.  So I guess we wouldn’t of needed to wait until Fast Sunday to have our Special day for Travis, of course, this is alright too.  I have notified all the Family so it will be first Sunday in July.
I just stopped and took a mess of peas to Mr. Gentle.  I saw his car down by the store.  I had my first mess last Sunday.  Wish you Folks were here to have some.
Mrs Porter and I are going visiting teaching this afternoon at one; it will be a hot walk.
I hope you all keep well.  Kiss Brooke and Travis for Grandma.
Love, Mom

Orderville Ut.
Aug. 13, 1973
Dear Pughs –
How was the camping trip?  Did you all get back safe and sound?  How come you didn’t come to beautiful Southern Utah?  I thot we were going to get a chance to go up on the mountain yesterday and have dinner, but Stanley thot he was too busy with the water.  Lucy had asked him to bring me up as they were spending the weekend up there.  I really think he’d get a better dinner if Grandma fixed it, don’t you Effie?  I guess she is with you, or did she find a way to go home?
We had a real good meeting last night.  Dr. Roberts and a Crosby from Kanab were our Home missionaries.  They talked a lot on missionary work; and both are very good speakers.
It is the Fair this week and I wish Brent and Jeanne were here to see what a Country Fair is like.  They’d have fun, and then Grandma would have someone to go with.
Don’t send me any bottled stuff down – I got a few apricots and made some nectar; I have a feeling I’ll visit you often enough that I’ll eat and drink my share of it up there.  I don’t even need the pint bottles, as I don’t know what I’d put in them.  I just don’t empty enough bottles to have any to fill, I’ll fill your doz. Qt. Bottles with grape juice – if I can beat the birds to them. I am bottling a few apples to-day that I picked up from our trees up home –
I haven’t been to Cedar yet to pick out the Wall-Tex, maybe when things slow down a bit I’ll get over there.
Aunt Leona has been a little better the last day or two.  I haven’t heard this morning.
I’m glad Brooke is getting better from his fall – I thot maybe he was outside and fell on something.
How is Joe’s romance coming?  I’m afraid if they wait too long, they will decide too many Kids won’t mix.
I can’t read this note on both sides, so guess I’d better quit.
Be sure and come down –
Love, Mom

Please send me the bill on the Walltex and everything else I owe you.
Orderville, Ut.
Oct. 1, 1973
Happy Birthday Jeanette, - Come on down and we will celebrate your birthday together, it doesn’t take long for one year to pass by, does it?  It seems to me the birthdays pile right on top of each other – especially when you realize you are getting right along in years.  I really don’t think I’d feel as old as I do, if I didn’t know how many years I have lived.
Make yourself a cake; or have DeRay buy one of the icky ones at the Bakery and really celebrate.  I’ll be thinking of you.
It’s a pretty Monday morning, a bit on the chilly side – but I’m sure the sun will have us all warmed up before long.  I turned my furnace up for awhile – but decided I’d get tough and not turn it on until it got colder; or I would be a softie when cold weather really did come.  It hasn’t frozen a thing here yet, and we still don’t have any storm –
Some of the people have started to pick their apples.  I have never saw apple trees with so much fruit on.  I keep thinking I’m going to take a picture of some of the trees – but I just don’t get around to it; some of the apples have started to fall and the ground is just covered with apples under the trees.  Everyone ought to have all the apples they want to eat this winter, that is if we were all our “Brother’s Keeper”.
I hope you go up to the Galloways and got some tomatoes.  Verla says her bottles are full and she still has tomatoes.  I keep emptying out my old fruit so I still have a dozen qts left for apples.  Eva is going to give me a bushel of greenings.  Do you want me to get you some down here and have DeRay take them up at deer season time?
Hope you are all over your colds and not working so hard; take time out to relax and enjoy life and that beautiful home you live in and each other.
Love to All of You – seems like when it gets Fallish weather, I get lonesome to see all of you.
Mom
Speaking of birthdays, I don’t want you to send me a present – as I will accept all the work DeRay has done on the house this summer as one.  Thank You.

Orderville, Utah
Oct. 9, 1973
Dear Pughs, I have just come from Relief Society and am waiting for Carol to come so we can go teaching – I hate to go just when it is dinner time for everyone but Carol is on split shift at the store – so we go when she can. 
Did you read in the paper about Aunt Amy Stark dying – they had her Services here yesterday – they were real good.  I think my faith and testimony is strengthened more from some of the funeral services I have attended than any other way – I have heard my best Sermons there.  It was good seeing some of my relatives I haven’t seen for a long time.  There weren’t too many to the Services – I guess when anyone had lived 92 years, not too many of the younger generation know them; course I think they should go as a social obligation.
Later:  We have just got back from visiting teaching – I wish there was some way you could go teaching, Jeanette; these lessons are so good, and I’m sure they always help me more than the ones I visit; seems like they all give me a peace of mind that I can’t get any other way.
I’m sorry to hear about Travis’ eyesight – every night I pray for a special blessing to be with him that he will have good eyesight and that he will mature into a healthy and strong boy in body and mind – I’m sure he was put on this earth for a special purpose; and that he will be a blessing to all of us, and I’m sure in a way that someday we will understand – If you ever need me to help in any way, just let me know.  I am sure too that all the families care a lot more than you think they do.  Sometime we are kind of hesitant because we don’t know what to say or do.  I think you Folks have been chosen as Parents of little Travis on account of your understanding hearts and ability; and how great will be your reward if you prove yourself faithful and strong.
I guess Brent will have to be Jeanne’s tutor, and show a lot of brotherly Love and help with her lessons and teach her how to be a good student.  I’ll bet by the end of this school year, she will be the best one in her class; and will soon learn how to apply herself to studying – sometimes it just take longer for some people.  I’m sure I was never the most brilliant one in school neither.  I often wondered where my Kids got all their educational ability.
. . .a man made problem; and far more serious than the problems our Heavenly Father gave to little Travis to make us grow and mature in the Gospel.
It froze our tomato vines here a few nights ago too.  I hate to have all my pretty flowers freeze and I hate wintertime to come.
Hope you all keep well and happy.
Love, Mom

Daddy died May 1947; Mama died May 1977.

                                                        When Eddy started talking he let us know that
he did not like the name "Travis".
He liked Ed, his middle name,
so we started calling him Ed or Eddy.
When we changed our last name from Pugh to Hugh,
we changed his name to Edward Travis Hugh
instead of Travis Edward Pugh.
(And his Grandpa Pugh never forgave us.)
While we were at it,
we changed DeRay's name
to DeRay Clarence Hugh
from Clarence DeRay Pugh.
I was the only one who didn't have to get a new birth certificate.

No comments: