Friday, September 16, 2016

The Strange Case of the Missing Gym Bag

     This morning when Ed and I went to the car to go to the gym, my gym bag was missing from the back seat. Because we've been cleaning the garage, the car had been in the driveway since we got home on Wednesday. The left back door doesn't lock automatically so I thought it was open with the other doors locked; but DeRay said he took the time to manually lock it that evening.
     So where is my gym bag? I leave it in the car, just carrying in my wet swim suit and towel. Fins, swim cap, goggles, extra swim suit, cell phone, lotions, comb, brush, etc, in a cosmetic bag all left in the car.
     "DeRay! Did you give my gym bag to DI?"
     "No." He comes to help me look.
     A strange thing. When I got back from riding my trike this morning, I noticed my plastic gym pass on the driveway by the back door. "Did it fall out when I got home on Wednesday? Certainly someone would have noticed it before now." I pick it up pondering.
     My driver's license and the money was still in the arm rest in the front seat. 
     Was the bag taken while we were out riding with the garage door wide open? Certainly I would have noticed the swim pass when I rode by on my trike. Why would anyone take a ragtag gym bag (the zipper didn't even work) and leave Amy's $800 bike in the open garage?  The cell phone wasn't a smart phone. It's old and dumb and only used for emergencies.
     We tried calling the number but no one answered.
     I wanted to tell the thief that I need my fins before we leave on vacation tomorrow.
     Wait! Why would I tell a thief we're leaving town? 
     (Of course, we're not all leaving town. The one with the thirty-aught-six will be on the porch guarding the property; another inside with a butcher knife ready to strike. Not to mention the two fierce dogs on high alert. Oh yes, and surveillance cameras connected directly to the police station. With liberty and justice for all.)

     Mystery partially solved.
     When Amy got home she said she heard the car alarm go off at 4 AM. (When the other doors are locked and you open that back door, the alarm goes off. I found that out early one morning on our way to Missouri when DeRay went in the store and left me in the car. When I opened the door to get out to go in, the alarm went off waking everyone up in the whole town and there was no way to stop it. How did they stop it? Amy said by the time she got upstairs, the alarm wasn't going off anymore.) She came up, turning on lights and made sure both cars were still here and no windows were broken. DeRay clarified that he didn't manually lock the back door; he just pushed the automatic lock on the key, which is what I had done. Every door was locked except the left rear door. I've looked in the garbage cans and in the bushes but they could have chucked it anywhere. No value to them. Creeps.
     I feel a little less safe tonight.
     Different. Violated.
     I've lost lots of things but this is the first time I've been robbed.
     Except for the motorhome break-in in Boston while we were on the Freedom Trail.
     

3 comments:

desplingca said...

hj, I kept hoping for a post that you had found it. I recommend reporting any loss to the police. A few years ago we reported the loss of two patchwork quilts from our clothes line. Someone found them and turned them over to the police after reading the police blotter in the newspaper. Years ago Grace's wedding ring was stolen along with some costume jewelry. Months later the boys were caught and revealed that they had dumped the stuff in the sewer where they were recovered. (In that case the insurance had already paid for the loss and Grace chose to keep the cash not wanting to wear something that had aged in the sewer.) ld

JJ said...

DeLoy - You've got some amazing recovery stories. I love happy endings.

Melissa said...

I'm sorry you had your car broken into, but I'm glad they didn't take the car or damage it...