Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Heredity

I have a vivid memory of standing in the St. George Temple,
On the day I was to be married nearly 61 years ago,
Looking out the window and seeing this old lady
Walking towards the temple.
It was my Aunt Maggie.
My dad’s sister.
Mama wondered how she knew I was getting married
Daddy had died nine years before;
Not living in the same town
We hadn’t kept in touch with his sister.
The temple was closed for repairs.
We were getting married by appointment.
What I remember noticing
In that early morning
Was her bow legs.
Checking records,
She would have been 78 years old.
Whenever I see my image reflected in the glass doors
As I walk into the gym or the church
I see bow legs.
I didn’t know I was bow legged.
But I am.
And each and every time,
I see my image I think of Aunt Maggie
Walking to the temple
On my wedding day.

No comments: