While
waiting for the ultra-sound after my mammogram at Lakeview Hospital, this older
lady came wobbling in, struggled with her key, finally gave up and put on the
gown, then made the locker work. I had to wait so long, I decided to open my
locker and get out my iPad. I couldn’t make the key work so she stood up to
help me. (And I thought she was the demented one.) She was waiting for a biopsy. As we talked,
she said even if she has breast cancer, she doesn’t think she will do anything.
“My husband had surgery and chemo and radiation. He suffered so terribly for a year then
he died anyway.” “How long ago did he die?” “Eleven years ago from lung cancer.”
“Lung cancer is different than breast cancer,” I comforted. “People suffer but
live.”
I
didn’t know at the time that I was talking to myself. She wasn’t diagnosed with
cancer; I was.
I wish it didn't happen to anyone, but if it has to happen, I'm glad it happened to me rather than those nearest and dearest to me. I say this in all sincerity. Better me than thee.
I may yet come to regret wasting
$10,000 on stem cell injections in my knees;
about the price of . . .never mind.
1 comment:
how about no one ever gets cancer?
That would be awesome....
Your generosity of spirit will hold you up during this, because all of us that you have sent positive thoughts and acts to will come back to you...
Post a Comment