Joyful
Relieved
Grateful
Ethereal
Blessed
After my visit with Dr. Norah Lynn
Henry,
A chemo oncologist.
Another woman.
Love it!
What if I had gone with the first plan
presented to me by Lakeview Hospital?
MRI
Surgery
Radiation
Chemotherapy
Dr. Henry gave me my choice of
Tamoxifen or Aromatase Inhibitor pills.
Chemotherapy doesn’t help older women
that much.
1 or 2%. Not worth the risks.
I’ve had the Aromatase Inhibitor
Endocrine Therapy for Breast Cancer pills
for three days now and haven’t taken a
one.
I thought taking a pill would be easy
compared to radiation and/or
chemotherapy.
So why can’t I swallow one?
Anastrozole, it is called.
They are designed
to keep cancer cells from getting the
hormones they need to grow.
AIs stop your body from making
estrogen,
which is the hormone that is feeding my
cancer.
This starves a cancer that need
estrogen
so its growth slows or stops.
AIs work against the original breast
cancer.
They also starve any cancer cell
that might have moved to other
parts of the body such as bones, liver,
or lung.
Side effects?
An acquaintance at the gym, Janice,
belongs to a Breast Cancer Survivor
Support Group.
When a doctor came to talk to them
about Endocrine Therapy
he said the side effects were minimal.
Everyone in the room booed him.
Aches and pains.
Hot flashes.
Dryness.
My childhood friend, Georgia,
said itching and dry skin are her
worst afflictions.
Osteoporosis.
I already have weak bones
(as do most people in their 80’s)
Etc.
Enough already.
Depression.
Janice recommend I start with one pill
a week,
gradually increasing
depending on how I feel.
She’s up to four a week.
It’s hard to go against doctor’s orders
when dealing with such serious business.
Still,
I think I will take two a week to start.
Mondays and Fridays.
I’ll start tomorrow.
Maybe.
1 comment:
hj, Good luck Patient! Keep us posted. ld
Post a Comment