When Isaak is an old
man, I picture him gathering his great grandchildren around him and telling them
the story of when he came home from his mission in Tucson, AZ, and stopping in to visit his
grandparents.
“We had gotten up at
5:30 to go to the temple as a family. When I got home, I borrowed my dad’s car,
to drive around and visit places I hadn’t seen for two years. I decided to stop
in and say hello to Grandma and Grandpa. It was like 8:30 in the morning. The
house was quiet so I walked upstairs and found Grandpa in front of his computer
clad only in his garmies. Now that is a rather shocking sight. We visited as if we were both in
suits and ties. Soon Grandma whizzed by attired in her sports bra and yoga
pants. ‘ISAAK! Just a minute while I get dressed’, she muttered
as she pulled on her blouse. She didn’t
comb her hair so it was poking out in every direction. I don’t know why it was
so wild. I hugged her and she welcomed me home. We visited for awhile as if these
two ancients didn’t look like they came straight out of a horror movie. And
that was my first intimate reunion with Grandma and Grandpa Hugh after my
mission all those years ago.”
No
pictures.
Use
your imagination.
DeRay
was waiting for Ed
to
get home from his trike ride before showering.
I
had been on a trike ride
and
finished my yoga stretches.
Part
of my ritual
is
lying on the bed,
rolling
my ankles in one direction
then
the other
while
massaging my head.
Thus
the wild hair.
I
usually do my stretches in my garments,
but
it was laundry day
and
I wanted to wash all the whites.
Thus
the rare sports bra.
Ed
was sitting out on the porch when Isaak left.
“I
love you, Isaak,” he said
as
he vanished out of sight.
GRANDPA'S
DRAWERS AND PANTS
In the days when men
used to wear drawers over their LDS garments, Grandpa John J. Esplin found
himself in a most embarrassing predicament.
It was his custom when the weather was warm to take off his drawers
while he was working in the fields and occasionally, when it was really hot, to
take off his pants too.
One particularly sultry
day, Grandpa had shed both drawers and pants as he worked at plowing in the
Cove. He had completed several circuits
of the field and was at the farthest from his drawers and pants when, to his
consternation, Mark and Sally Chamberlain drove into the field immediately
adjoining the spot where Grandpa had left his clothes. He halted his team and waited, hoping that their
visit would be a short one. But it
wasn't
Sally ensconced herself
on the wagon seat commanding a view of the whole surrounding countryside and
took up her mending. What was Grandpa to
do? All he could do was retire to the
grove of trees adjoining the spot at which he had stopped, and wait a long,
long wait. Not until sunset was he able
to recover his drawers and pants and return home.--by Ross Esplin, a grandson (to truly appreciate this account, you
have to know how hard it was for Grandpa to wait. He wasn't one to sit around doing nothing.)
No comments:
Post a Comment