Brooke tells the story:
At
least this week, we got one thing done we’ve been planning to do for a long
time. We had to start planning for it
at the beginning of the week. My boss gave me
permission to work 4 10 hour days so I could take Fridays off if I wanted to so
this week I tried it out. It turns out 10
hour days are very long and the traffic is much worse at 5:30 than it ever is
at 3 or 4 so I’m not sure how much I’ll do it from now on but this time it gave
me Friday so we could get over to Grandma and Grandpa’s house and get their
flower bed done. For those who
can’t keep long stories in their heads, I’ll remind you that over a year ago we
went over and ripped out the Pfitzer that had been growing in front of their
porch for over 40 years. They were big and
mean and had a million roots and by the time we got them out and to the dump,
we were worn out..apparently for about a year.
| Pfitzers |
Last
week I went up and tilled up the space and got out of a few more of the roots,
leveled it out, cut the sprinkler wire again and fixed it again and did a few
things. On Friday, we went to work with a
slow, small, dull chainsaw and chopped down the mushroom trees in front and dug
out more of the roots. We finished cleaning up the pfitzers around the corner
and dug out about 1-2 million aspens and their roots.
We
trimmed and cleaned and removed.
We
even took out the garbage oaks that has been growing on the corner for along
time but was out of control. All that took us
most of all day and we were beat.
We
took a huge trailer load to the dump and called it a day.
Saturday
we got up, did out lawns and then went shopping.
We
bought a super cool willow tree and some ground cover and then began our
adventure with rocks. We eventually
found American Stone where you can drive in, they load rocks into your trailer
or whatever, they weigh what they load and you just pay by the pound.
We
found some great gray stone and lava rocks and bought 1750 pounds of it.
They
trailer kind of pulled and pushed the Infiniti all the way to Fruit Height and
we got to work . You can see it
better in the pictures than I can describe it but it turned out to be very
cool. Karlton and I moved rock from the trailer to the flower bed and Klarissa
and Elizabeth shaped it into a river that flows around the willow.
The
whole thing was made by the fountain from Mexico, the wheelbarrow that built
the family house in the hollow, and don’t forget the sheepherder camp that we
found in Midway. It’s pretty great
too. It’s just a little birdhouse we
found. I have to say, I’m sore in all
sort of new places and moving the gray stone was tough, but the lava rock
turned out to be great to work with and it all came together nicely.
We
had a great Chinese feast afterwards and everyone went home happy…except
Grandpa who discovered that the sprinklers aren’t working for some reason.
That’s
a mystery that we haven’t unraveled yet.
Hopefully
it’s just a loose connection and will be fixed quickly without having to move a
bunch of rock. One mission
accomplished.
After Friday's labors.
We thought there would be so many cars lined up to view we may have to charge.
The Laborers
Our sheepherder heritage
TA-DAH!
1 comment:
looks lovely!!!!!
Post a Comment