Sometimes
I
think
my sister, Verla,
has
the right idea.
She
rarely takes pictures;
she
keeps no journal or history;
she
doesn’t raise a garden anymore.
She
could clean her freezer in half an hour.
When
she’s through with something,
she
gives it away.
She’s
never stored useless stuff.
Eddy is still wearing some of the shirts
she gave him when her boys quit wearing them.
I put things in boxes and store them in the basement
in case we or someone yet to be born
might need them someday.
I have a toy museum.
I have shelves and shelves of photo books
and histories, journals and writings
that no one looks at or reads.
Four full deep freezers –
the big one taking me all day to clean out.
Cases and cases of bottled fruit and vegetables
besides all the groceries DeRay buys in bulk.
We spend endless hours in the garden.
And on and on and on and on.
WHY?


1 comment:
Think of it this way.....
You each have your own way of doing things and it would be incredibly boring if we all did everything the exact same way and I wouldn't of gotten to read about what you have been doing the last little bit.
Post a Comment