Whenever I hobble
around outside, especially in the garden with my stiff sore knees and balance issues,
I invariably think of Jennie Brown, my mother’s bosom childhood friend. Jennie was
actually Mama’s niece, the oldest daughter of her oldest brother, Charles, while
Mama was the youngest child in her family.
Jennie and Amy in their white 8th grade graduation dresses,
hand-made by Aunt Esther Johnson (Mama's sister)
of white voile trimmed with lace.
hand-made by Aunt Esther Johnson (Mama's sister)
of white voile trimmed with lace.
When we went out to
Moccasin for our reunion on October 2, 1993, the night before,
Verla, Lynn, and I walked up to Jennie and Ren Brown’s home.
Jeanette, Ren and Jennie Brown 1993
We wanted her to identify everyone in a
picture of Grandpa Heaton, his two wives, children and grandchildren that appeared on the cover of Sunstone magazine without identification. Later someone replied to an inquiry that it was the family of Alvin F. Heaton.
A couple of years before, on a trip to
Orderville, we encountered Irene Heaton Baird in the Orderville
grocery store, then in her ninety-second year.
She is Grandpa’s oldest grandchild.
My sister, Verla Esplin Galloway, is one of his youngest grandchildren
and was forty-two at the time—a fifty year time span. I sent the picture of Irene and Verla to Sunstone where the
family had been incorrectly identified telling them that I recognized many of
the people in the picture, including my own mother. I
received a call from the Church History Department. They told me that in Joseph Fielding Smith’s
own handwriting, the family was identified as Alvin F. Heaton and family,
Moccasin Springs, Ariz June 1st 1907. (They sent me copies to prove it.)
“I
recognize my uncles and aunts,” I
told the historian on the phone. “I believe you,” he said. “Would
you mind identifying everyone in the photo and labeling it and sending it back
to us?” “Sure,” I said, “it
might take me a year.”
By porch light on
that warm October night in Moccasin, Jennie Heaton Brown positively identified
every single person in the picture. I
send the information to the Church History Department getting that little
issue straightened out.
On
that night, Jennie talked about our mother:
Your
mother was born first.
Her
hair was naturally curly;
I
had to have mine rolled up in rags.
Her
eyes were brown;
Mine
were blue.
She
could run faster;
She
could swim further;
She
could stay under water longer;
She
could dive deeper;
She
could hike longer;
She
was married first;
She
had one more child;
And
one more husband.
“Well,
life isn’t over,”
we jest, “you may still catch up.”
“Oh,
ho, ho,” Ren,
her husband, who had been silent all evening, interjected, “you should see her hobble around the yard. She couldn’t catch anyone.”
And that’s why I inevitably think of Jennie as I hobble around outside.
Jennie didn’t mention this,
but Mama also died first.
Mama died at age 73 (1977).
When we visited with Jennie
she would have been in her 90th
year
(born 15 August 1904.
Jennie died in 1995
and her husband, Ren, died in 1999.)




No comments:
Post a Comment