CANCER
TREATMENT – SURGERY DELAY
I don’t know
when it happened
but the pain got worse each day
and by the end of
February, I had had all I could take.
My appointment
with Dr. Vaklavas and infusion
was on March
5.
Pathological
fracture of Vertebra 11 and 12.
They were
going to take care of everything:
Cancel the
chemo (over $80 co-pay)
Make
appointments for radiation and
other
procedures with the SOS team.
I’m calling
the pain at times unbearable,
Excruciating.
They do
nothing so
I contact Dr.
Burt, my radiation oncologist.
By some
miracle she gets me an appointment
for an MRI at
the University Hospital
7 AM Friday
13.
DeRay drives.
By some
miracle she gets the mapping for the radiation
at 9 AM
And around 3,
I had two strong radiation treatments.
I couldn’t
tell much difference in the pain level.
Dr. Burt
arranged for me to meet with Dr. Jill Sindt
I had virtual
visit with Jaclyn SOS in Farmington.
Amy and I drove to Salt Lake in about 4” of
snow
beautifying the trees, houses and yards.
Especially beautiful around the capitol building and the avenues.
Especially beautiful around the capitol building and the avenues.
Appointment with Dr. Brogan at 10:20 AM
“Free valet parking, Amy, you won’t have to
do a thing.”
Ha! What a mess!
No valet service;
we had to park in the parking garage and
walk.
It’s still snowing.
We asked for a wheelchair
but somehow he couldn’t find us.
Then when we got to the front doors,
they wouldn’t let Amy in.
“I need her.”
“She can’t hear.”
Too bad.
So she could either go to the tent
or sit in her car for 3 hours in the cold.
The nurse took my vitals then a play-doctor
came in.
I was talking to Amy and hung up when he
came in.
I was supposed to leave the phone on
so she could participate in the discussion.
Dumb me.
So when Dr. Brogan came in, I turned my
cell phone on speaker
and she could hear everything and talk with
us.
He had on a mask and didn’t shake hands and
stayed 6 feet away.
He decided that the cement procedure could
help alleviate the pain;
also they would shoot radiation into the
tumors growing and around it
and eradicate some of them.
He usually operates on Wednesday but he
would do it Monday.
I joked that I didn’t eat or drink so they
could do it today.
We just caught the window.
How lucky we are.
Amy somehow sprained her ankle
while waiting in the car so she’s a cripple
now.
The next two days, nurses called with
instructions for surgery
on what to eat and take and all.
Then Friday afternoon, after Amy, Eddy and
Carol left
to take Carol to Logan to stay with Verla,
who had recently been released from the
hospital after an emergency visit,
the doctor called himself and said the
surgery had to be cancelled.
No one over 70 allowed in hospital.
No elective surgery.
Governor’s mandate.
Ouch!
Amy posted
this on Facebook:I'd like to know when we became a society that values one life over another. When we discriminate and decide who gets care and who does not. Who suffers and who gets care. If your over 70, then just suffer and die, there are no other options, you cannot get treatment of any kind no matter how urgent necessary or in pain you are in. It's illegal, immoral, and heartbreaking. All because we can't order some damn gloves and masks."
To Dr. Brogan (who, by the way, is an Irish Citizen): If I talk to you when I'm
not hurting so much at the moment, I understand the situation (of the
cancellation). If I were to talk to you when I'm in 10 pain, I would not claim
to understand. Now seems like the best time. It's might be a year or more
before I get help.
SUPPORTIVE ONCOLOGY AND SURVIVORSHIP
CANCER PAIN SERVICE (SOS-PAIN)
Lindsay
M Burt, MD
Date
received:03/20/2020 03:46 PM
RE: Medication Question
You should call Dr.Sindt's office. They should not have cancelled your appointment. They must get permission first. Call them and request that you must be seen.
I don’t think you necessarily have new disease in your spine. It is sometimes hard to compare CT to a MRI. Some of the lesions were not noted on prior scan but were seen and then some are now seen but that is likely just due to differences in imaging. Although it is hard to know for sure.
Thanks, Lindsay
No comments:
Post a Comment