Sunday, October 24, 2010

COLORADO RIVER - Spiders 2 of 6



I did something this month that was particularly hard for me. I stewed and fussed and hoped something would happen so I wouldn’t have to go but in the end I went and, believe it or not, had a remarkable time. Amy was planning a canoeing trip down the Colorado River with friends. I thought she asked me to go because she needed a canoe partner but she claims she’s been trying to get me to go for years. She knew I would love it like she does. At first, I just blatantly said “NO”. Then I got thinking about it. DeRay can take care of Ed; I just had hyalgan treatments for my knees and they’re supposed to be at optimum right now. There may never be a next time. So I told her yes and was immediately sorry. Sleeping in a tent? Sitting in a canoe all day? What if I get sick? Stomach ache? Eye infection? Acid reflux? What if I can’t sleep? What if I bother people? Have to be airlifted out? Nighttime bathroom breaks? Snakes? Spiders? I didn’t even think about having to break camp every morning and set camp up every night. I haven’t camped in a tent for 45 years (motor home, trailer, houseboat – luxuries); the hardest part is always the first day and the last day. Every day would be like that.
Besides, we were raised with a fear of the Colorado River. We all knew people who had drowned. When we went to Lee’s Ferry we stayed far away from the bank.

No comments: