One More Day Part IV
Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power
By Barbara G. Walker
We
hear much about women’s nest-building instincts, which, after all, form the
economic foundation of our consumer society; but we hear little of any
nest-destroying behavior, which may be equally instinctive, as
represented by several versions of the Crone.
An older woman may experience strong urges to weed out her possessions,
to simplify her life by purging it of excessive impedimenta, to move to smaller
quarters and keep them neater, to restrict her social contacts to a few good
friends instead of a wide circle of acquaintances. She may give things away, neglect her house,
stop buying clothes. Page 91.
That’s
me.
Today
I cleaned out one side of the new fruit room.
I crossed the threshold thinking there was no junk in there. I filled half the backseat of the car with DI
stuff; also filling half the empty garbage can.
The
mind of a postmenopausal woman is virtually uncharted territory, for men have
shown little inclination to explore it.
Doctors and psychiatrists glibly ascribe any or all of her difficulties
to “menopausal depression,” or a similar diagnostic catchall. However, it may be that her real needs and
urges simple are not understood, so the experts have no jargon to describe
them, just as our society has no symbol to represent them.
Earlier
societies apparently understood more about the nest-destroying stage. (If you are interested in examples, let me
know. I have the book; you can also find
it on the Internet.) Page 91
My sister, Lucy, never got to
the nest-destroying stage. Maybe she was
forever young or maybe she moved into her lovely new home too late. She accumulated and built her nest almost
until the day she died.
A few weeks before
she died, she called and wondered if I had the picture of Mama “I think
is hanging in your foyer.” “Yes, I have
it,” I admitted. “It is supposed to be
mine,” she said boldly, “Mama gave it to Shirley and since she didn’t want it,
it is mine.” “Actually, Mama gave that
picture to me when we were cleaning out the old house; just Mama and me.” “I would like it,” she said politely. “What would you do with it?” “I would hang it in my bedroom.” She knew she was dying. “I would be happy to make a copy of it and
send it to you,” I offered. “No, I want
the original photo.”
Where was she when
we were cleaning out the old house? I
got Grandma Heaton’s old treadle sewing machine too. Anyone want a treasured sewing machine?
Dishes and silverware from "out to the herd". Authentic. Original.
2 comments:
You're going to have nothing left after all of this cleaning.....
But there is something to be said for keeping only the things that have true value and not just the stuff that fill empty space.....
The DI and all of the places you are donating to are going to be sooooo happy!!!
How can they bear it all?
Post a Comment