Thursday, September 19, 2013

Tuacahn Magic - Act II




You’re not going to believe this.
I call Tuacahn on Monday, the first day we are here.  The Senior Sampler had an ad for local residents discount this week.
“How much?”
“$16.50 - $25.50”
“Best you can do?”
“Best.”
“We’ll talk about it.”
That was after I waited on the line for over ½ hour.
Then we got stressed over the potential renters coming over and bossing us around and setting all the terms.  DeRay decided to drive home and get the van and utility trailer.
Tuacahn was forgotten.
Even though he drove home Tuesday and came back on Wednesday, he said he felt like going Wednesday night.  We decided to drive over and check at the ticket office.
“$16.50 to $25.50 for local residents.”
“Last month we got tickets for $12.”
“Let me check. . . . . OK, it looks like $10.”
Fantastic!
Unbelievable.
Our best price ever.
"I need proof you are a local resident.”
I was ready for her.  I had my SunRiver badge.  She smiled.
 We are happy campers.
And Gail Bennett is playing Mary Poppins (double cast).  She performed the title role in Mary Poppins over 65 times on the first national tour.  Lucky us!
Barely had Mary Poppins appeared with her umbrella than the lights went out.
After all that. . .we got rained out.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, for the safety of the actors, we must stop this production.  The Weather Service says the storm is passing through.  We’ll wait up to ½ hour to see if the rain moves out.  That doesn’t mean it will necessarily be ½ hour.  If it clears, we’ll resume sooner.
We remain in our seats.  Most everyone does.  We have one umbrella, two jackets, one blanket and a plastic garbage bag for the three of us.  It had been sprinkling on and off all day.
We were entertained by the stagehands sweeping water off the stage.  They raced, they did the wave, they pushed their brooms diagonally, crosswise, in unison.  “You missed a spot,” a group yelled.
Yes, we got soaked through but it was warm.  I was worried about my water resistant but not water repellent brand new hearing aids.  I put my fleece up over my head as Ed had the only hoodie.
“Ladies and Gentlemen, we are not cancelling yet but if you want to leave you can come again next week.  Plenty of seats.  You don’t have to stop by the box office.  We’ve scanned your ticket and know who is here.  We’re going to wait another 8-10 minutes.”
Twenty minutes later:  “Ladies and Gentlemen, the storm isn’t leaving.  It’s circling around.  We are cancelling.”  He explained the options.
We left home at 6:30; got home at 9:30 and saw basically nothing.
It’s one of those things.  Can’t be helped.  Rained out.
I didn’t call until late afternoon but we got tickets for Friday night.  Further back, but at least we’ll get to see it.  We’re going home Saturday.
And Mindy Smoot Robbins, a BYU grad, with 4 children, had improved immensely in her role as Mary Poppins and was practically perfect in every way.
Now I’m humming those catchy tunes all over again in my head again.

Never need a reason,
Never need a rhyme
Step in time, you step in time!

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag"

I'm so practically perfect in every way. . .
Oh, oh, oh!
Let's go fly a kite

No comments: