“I knew you couldn’t
sleep so I came home to scratch your back.”
“Are you in the
driveway?” I was teasing. I pictured him at Jerry and Lana’s in
SunRiver.
“No, I’m not in the
driveway, I can’t park the trailer in the driveway; I’m in the street.”
Then it began to dawn on
me that he, DeRay, is actually home. I had
talked to him twice in the last hour or two and he hadn’t mentioned that he was
driving. On the first call, he reported
that the day hadn’t gone as planned but he would tell me about it later. He said he had a dizzy spell but felt better
after eating. Of course, that set me to
worrying. Then I called him back to tell
him that the Davis County sheriff cars that Amy and I had seen Sunday evening on our way to
Brooke’s concert at the Cathedral of the Madeleine were here because the
neighbor across the street had a heart attack and died.
He still didn’t tell me he was driving. Then I get another call at 11:06 and I slowly realized that he is home; a full day early.
| Craig owned Cosmos Video Store on Main Street. |
His mission was to clean
out all the dead bushes, trees, debris from the winter kill at our SunRiver
house. He drove down Sunday and stayed
in Jerry and Lana’s lovely new home where he was set up in a virtual
suite. He went over to the house around
8 on Monday morning; Jerry came 15 minutes later. Jim and
Maggie were just leaving to donate blood.
They left two bottles of cold water on the patio, leaving the back door
open.
They left a note, reminding them to use the “guest” bathroom as they
were guests.
As usual, Jerry does 80%
of the work. His saw was bigger than DeRay’s
and he is fast and can get up and down.
He had those bushes whacked off and carried out to the street like a
young energetic man; not a convalescent with glitches. They worked for 3 or 4 hours. Jerry had everything out on the street when
they decided to go eat lunch. Then the
miracles began:
* It wasn’t a hot day like Sunday’s 95
degrees. It was cloudy, cool, with a breeze. Maybe 80’s.
* By happenchance, maintenance was
doing front yards on the street. They
wanted to ask them if they would pick up their trash for a fee but decided
against it. They figured they had three
trailer loads. They dreaded loading it,
tromping it, covering it and then making three trips to the dump, at least 40
miles round trip. So they went back to
Lana’s where she fixed them a delicious dinner.
* When they got back, every scrap of
debris was gone; the street clean as a whistle. “Did you turn down the wrong street?” Imagine.
* As DeRay got feeling better, he
decided to drive home since all the work was done. He stopped for natural gas in Cedar
City. He made some comment about them
expanding the station and when he went to pay for his drink, they said, “It’s
on the house.” Imagine.
* Stopping in Fillmore for gas, his
credit card wouldn’t work. He tried
another one and it wouldn’t work either.
The guy getting gas next to him said, “Here, use mine.” DeRay gave him
$7 but he didn’t expect it. He just
offered to let him use his credit card out of the goodness of his heart. Imagine.
DeRay decided it is
advantageous to look like an old tramp.
The day didn’t go at all
as planned. It went so much better.
And the best part is he is
home, safe and sound, and I didn’t even have to worry.
Next morning, he went
out to back the trailer in to unhitch it while Ed and I were riding trikes so
we could go to the gym when we finished.
He missed his target the first try and pulled back out into the street
when the neighbor lady came running towards him holding her hand over her
bleeding head and calling “HELP!”
She wouldn’t get in the
car so he and a worker nearby helped her onto our porch; put a towel on her
head and called 911. She told DeRay she
stood up to answer the door for her grandson and fainted, evidently hitting her head on the
corner of the wall. We cleaned the blood from her foyer, found her wallet, and
left the back door open for the dog.
I was scared when I
turned the corner on my trike and saw two ambulances leave our circle and greatly relieved when I saw DeRay backing
the trailer in. Wendy, Rajean’s
daughter, asked me to look for her wallet. Shanel found it in her car. Donna ran it to the hospital. Wendy told me that her mother fell in front
of our house. DeRay had the story
straight. Ed thinks he was very
brave.
Is that why DeRay came
home early from St. George? Imagine.
4 comments:
Hey, I like stories with multiple happy endings!
Except for the 61-year-old neighbor who died of a heart attack.
Even more dramatic than just having the lawn servicing crews on the right street at the right time of day, is that if it hadn't been for mother's day, they wouldn't even have been mowing that day.
"Change in Mowing Schedule:
Please be aware that we've just discovered a conflict with the holidays in May and our every other week mowing schedule. Since we are positive that you would like your yard looking nice for both Mother's Day and Memorial Day weekend, the mow crews will be back around again this week and the week of May 19-23. Hopefully this unexpected change in our schedule will be a welcome one."
Very welcome indeed. Thank you.
Except for the death, what a wonderful series of events and kindness....
Post a Comment