Thursday, May 8, 2014

Pity Parties


My Pity Parties
DeLoy H. Esplin, 18 April 2014

I gritted my teeth.
I tried very hard.
I got it done.
But I felt some pity
For myself 
For my difficulties --
Until, over time, I met
People with no
Feet, arms, sight,
Hearing, voice, mind,
Or eternal perspective,
All of which I have.
In addition, I met people 
Who did far more
With far less
Or were happy with 
What they had.

This made my
Difficulties seem
Considerably smaller,
My pity parties
   Less needed -- 

And I also became far more apt
To count my rich blessings
Instead! 


As we grow older and gradually lose our eye sight, hearing, mobility, strength, stamina, and dexterity against our will, it could become a pattern to complain about everything we are losing instead of focusing on what we still have.  This poem by my brother, DeLoy, used without permission, is my daily reminder to count my blessings.

No comments: