Sunday, September 28, 2014

Snowbird Saga 2014


In the early morning rain, I went out to Amy's car to look for my new ear buds.  We stopped at ShopCo on the way up and found them on a great sale.  Since they were on sale, we decided to buy the more expensive ones $14.99.  $10 off.  When we finally got settled in, I could not find them.  I found the sack and the bill but no ear buds.  We had opened them on the way up.  We looked everywhere; we even asked at the front desk in case we dropped them when we got out of the car.  Amy checked the car again since I have a tendency to miss things but even she could not find them.  My crown was in jeopardy.  I have a unique history of finding unfindable things.
It rained all the first day.  DeRay and Ed didn't even walk up to OktoberFest in the rain.

Amy walked on up the trail and came back with pictures of moose.  "If I'd known you were going to see moose, I would have gone with you."  "What do you expect to see when you stay in your room?"

After her walk in the rain, she went to the hot pool and hot tub, then came back to the room and announced that she was going home.  "You don't want to swim, you don't want to hot tub, you don't want to hike.  I haven't slept for two nights." (She said I wheeze and snore.  Rude.)  Amy obviously doesn't understand old age!   She thought it would be easier to go to work from home, she could get a good night's rest in her adjustable bed, and she could check on the cats.  There's room for all of us to sleep in our North Efficiency Unit but some like to stay up late; one has to get up early; so we bought a Bedroom Unit and we're all a lot more comfortable and relaxed.




After Amy left, the sun came out.  It was so clear and beautiful.

The next time I looked out, the clouds were rolling in.
Within minutes, it looked like this.
Where oh where did our exquisite view go . . .
Mysterious.
As quickly as it came, it started to roll out.



Does the earth touch the sky or does the sky touch the earth?





Nature's show over; darkness; we gather to play Oh Heck.
Again this year, as every year, I take way too many pictures of the red-leafed aspens to prove to my forester brother that they do exist.  He claims I will get an F in forestry.
Red leaves. YES!  And Suzanne.
More proof.
The only hike Ed took.  
He says he could have kept up with us but the walking stick slowed him down.

Suzanne and Ed resting at the end.

 
Saga of the Red-leafed Quaking Aspen Trees
                  by DeLoy H. Esplin
(Legend: "Jeanette,"  "DeLoy."   See footnote * for background)

"It's a rare quaking aspen with fall foliage red."
"I'm a forester.  That sends me in quite a lurch."
"They are just found in Cottonwood Canyon, it's said."
"Maybe it's big-leaf maple, an oak, or a birch."

"Something like iron, is thought to be in the soil."
"Perhaps, instead, the leaves belong to a willow.
I don't know what could cause the green leaves so to spoil.
My guess is that it is a dream on your pillow."


"Drive up next fall!  See them! You'll have to come early,
Or, I took pictures!  You can look at those I've got."

"That's ok if, in the pictures, white bark I see,
Otherwise, here's my sound guess: an aspen it's not.

All know, quaking aspen fall leaves are bright yellow.
Therefore, I say, give it up.  Be a nice fellow.

Got the pictures.  There seems to be in them one flaw.
Is it true, all film's bad that one buys in Utah?"


"You don't ever give up, do you?  Bad film indeed!
You said that if you saw white bark then you'd concede.

Plan next September to come up here on a trip.
Then, you'll find the deep red will your own eyeballs rip."

*    Written 1-16-03.  Each quote reflects at least the gist if not the actual words of one or more exchanges today of e-mail joshes after Jeanette Hugh finally noticed that I "corrected" the color of her fall quaking aspens in her poem on Albion Basin that she entered in the Santa Barbara Holiday Fair in November, 2002.



Jeanette and Vera Ivie, from Ivie's Institue of Positive Thinking.
Dear me, how could I forget my silver and turquoise belt and necklace, my dangling sterling silver earrings, my massive ruby and diamond rings, my diamond watch, jangling silver bracelets, bejeweled jacket, long red fingernails, red lipstick, or my jeweled shoes?
Or my wig?
I wanted to get a picture of her from head to toe.
I caught her wrong but it's the best picture of the jewelry and fingernails.
82 Years Old and going strong.
This is the first time she's been up since her husband died.  She brought a friend, Lorna, whose husband died the same year.
Who could deny it?

Concede DeLoy.



I went to get my wallet in case I wanted to buy some cards from Teri.  Why is it so fat?  I don't have that much money.  Yip.  I had tucked the ear buds in my wallet where I keep my money and zipped them in to keep them safe.  I was elated.  Amy said she thought I had tucked them someplace.
I could hardly wait to tell her I found them.  In the meantime, she had stopped at Smiths and bought some more to surprise me.  $12.  Same ear buds.  Now we have two sets!
Amy stayed down to go to "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" with the Pechmanns.  It's the third time she had seen it.  I saw it three times too.  It was that entertaining.  I went first with DeRay and Eddy on Saturday.  Then Monday, Verla came down and went with Amy and me.  Thursday, Amy and I went again because we wanted to see the original version.  It was the best.  The next Wednesday, Amy went again with her friends.  With RUSH passes, you can go as many times as you want as long as seating is available.  Only $125/year.  After 11 that night, Amy called from home and said that Gnocchi, her cat, was missing.  Pancake was waiting for her on the porch when she got home around 10 but she could not find Gnocchi anywhere.  She walked around the house and around the circle calling.  Checking the web site for Davis County Animal Control, she saw a cat picked up just today that looked just like Gnocchi.  "I'm not going to work tomorrow.  I'm not going to let them put him to sleep," she vowed.  "Maybe he'll show up."  She wanted the access to our messages so she could check and see if they had called.  No message.  She walked over to the church calling for him and when she got back around midnight, there was Gnocchi waiting for her.  Thank heavens.  (Gnocchi (noki), singular gnocco: are various thick, soft doughs dumplings that may be made from semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potato, breadcrumbs, or similar ingredients. was one of the words in the spelling bee the first time we went.  They never used it again.  I could have spelled it!  But nothing else.  Not even "cow", probably.)  Both cats are grounded.  She closed the window.  They're staying in until we get home on Saturday.
I didn't think I'd be able to walk this year but I made it to the waterfall and the bridge.


Iron Blosom.
One late night, when I went down to the desk to return a movie, Darwin, a fellow hiker from bygone years, was visiting with the desk clerk.  They wondered how the movie was.  Darwin said he had read in the paper this week that they are going to release the movie, "oh what was the name of it? filmed in the south, Civil War? reconstruction."  "Yaw.  Yaw.  I know which movie you are talking about. Scarlett O'Hara. Rhett Butler."  "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."  "I'll think about that tomorrow."  "Clark Gable. Vivien Leigh."   Finally after quoting half the movie, I blurt out,"Gone With the Wind."  "Yes!  Yes!"  "Gone With the Mind," we both concede as we catch the elevator. (By the way, the young desk clerk was no help at all.  She knew nothing about it.  Maybe its time they re-release it.)

"Vera, whatever possessed you to buy that hat?" I asked at the potluck.
(Note the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, melons on her plate--all from DeRay's garden.)
"Don't I look charming?"  "Yes."  "That's what possessed me."




 You never know who you might bump into on an evening stroll.



DeRay set up at "work" each morning.  He could hardly break away for water workout with Judy.  DeRay and Ed also went to a movie each afternoon. 
 DeRay's unfinished painting from his acrylic class.





Anything goes at Snowbird during OktoberFest.
This is a stream.  What color is it?  What do the trees drink?
I'm no scientist but I see the same color in this stream as in the leaves of the Quakies, as we called them when we were kids.

After Cai and Suzanne went home, Brooke, Elizabeth, Isaak and Karlton moved into their unit for the night.  Isaak had so many lessons with all his AP classes, he studied during all our fun.
This is our impromptu picnic after our swim since, guess what, after being sunny all week, it's raining again for the weekend.


We had the most astounding experience in the pool.  The clouds came rolling in but instead of just covering the mountains, they gradually enveloped us.  While we were cloaked in clouds, a pounding rain smacked us.  We were immersed in an amazing storm; yet we were warm and safe in the over-heated pool.  Surreal. 



With all of the activities at Iron Blosom,  it's like a cruise without the danger of the ocean.  If only someone would cook our meals, make our beds and put a chocolate heart on our pillow each night.  One day after I had complained that I have to do all the dishes and  make all the beds, I walked into DeRay and Ed's room and it was immaculate--the bed made--clean sheets and towels, the dishes done, counters clean, bathroom spotless.  Wow.  I didn't think DeRay would take it to heart.  He confessed that was beyond his abilities.  We didn't find out until the day we left that the maids were supposed to clean the room next door and they inadvertently cleaned ours.  Nice mistake.


Until next year.  It's cool to see the same friends each year.  Marilyn gave me a hug when she saw me this year.  I like that.  Our Week 38 Snowbird friends.

Some photos--
the best ones--
 by Amy

3 comments:

desplingca said...

hj, I couldn't wait to hear the end of the ear-bud story, and in my haste didn't see a single red leaf and not a drop of red water! I did see the moose, ld

Melissa said...

I'm with you on the red aspen...I saw some in Colorado! Looks like a great adventure!!!

Verla Galloway said...

Great vacation. Your writing is so vivid I feel like I was there!