Amy noted that Ed never says the words that trigger a sometimes violent response from him. "Las Vegas" has been a constant for many years. Her plan is he doesn't eat until he says the word, theorizing this will desensitize him. Last week, he got so he could say "I love Las Vegas" without even being prompted.
Encouraging.
This week, the word is "stupid". He just could not bring himself to say it. "Why do you want me to say a word I can't stand to say?" he asks politely. We sit there for an hour with his breakfast in front of him. The longer he goes hungry, the more unreasonable he becomes but I needed to follow through. He talked about everything. "We had a good time swimming yesterday, didn't we?" "I sure had a good time a week ago today." "I love the cats, Mom." "I can't believe Gnocchi was in the sink last night." "I'm looking forward to my birthday trip." "Can you believe I've got something to look forward to in four weeks?" "I love Tuesdays." "I sure enjoyed Modern Family last night." "I love playing games with you, Mom." "I sure enjoy my new chair, Mom." "This year is going well." "I enjoy being me, Mom."
I offered him suggestions using his core beliefs, like "It's stupid to shop on Sunday." or "It's stupid not to obey all of God's commandments." but he couldn't bring himself to say the word. Amy is more pragmatic with her examples: "It's stupid to step on broken glass with barefeet." "It's stupid to touch a hot stove."
Finally he blurted out: "You're a stupid idiot!"
I was instantly offended, then I realized he had used "stupid" in a sentence.
I hope it will be easier next time.
He may have won that round.
Lunch:
Without fanfare, he stood by the table and said "stupid" then admitting, "That's what bugs me."
"You did good today, Ed."
"It's sure going well."
"I never had it so good, Mom."
"Do you have to write down everything I say?"
A couple of days later:
"Who do you love, Mom?"
"You."
"If you love me, you wouldn't threaten me before every meal."
No comments:
Post a Comment