Saturday, April 11, 2015

Little Acts of Kindness



Something happened to me tonight
That I bet has never happened to you.
Picture the long lines for the Women’s Restroom
At the theater.
Because I waited until the intermission was almost over,
There were only two women in front of me.
Still it was Wait. Wait. Wait.
No one came out.
Finally, the door opened and the next woman went in.
“Is there only one stall?” I asked the women in front of me.
“I don’t understand,” she answered.
“Where are you from?” I inquired.
“Brazil,” she answered,
Then she went into a lengthy treatise,
Most of which I couldn’t comprehend
Except for pieces like “if you talk slowly”.
Eventually a younger woman came over,
Perhaps her daughter.
Maybe she thought she could translate.
Soon the next lady came out
And it was my new friend’s turn.
She gestured for me to go ahead of her.
“Oh, no, no, you’ve been waiting in line.
It’s your turn.”
She refused and sent me in.
“It’s the Brazilian way,” her daughter explained.

Little deeds of kindness
Little words of love,
Make the world as happy
As the heavens above.

No comments: