Friday, August 5, 2016

Wisdom Literature

WISDOM LITERATURE FROM
80-YEAR OLDS
at a Valley High School Class Reunion


My life wasn’t what I thought it would be. It is so much better. – Odean Crofts
Prove all things and hold fast to that which is truth. – Nolen Roundy
Treasure my Memories.Maureen Ramsay
Patience. Darol Heaton
I can describe my life in one sentence – It didn’t go as planned, and that’s OK. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Nothing is more important than people.Georgia Heaton
One of my 4th grade students taught me a valuable lesson. I had just scolded the class for being so rowdy and everything was very quiet. One rather timid boy came up to my desk and said: “Bruce, did you know that happy people are healthier than grumpy people?”Bruce Hoyt
Not yet being 80 (I have to rub that in), I won’t be as wise as most of you; but what I have learned is that we need to pay attention to our lives. If we are attentive, we will see joy, peace, love, and creativity in the present moment (even with the aches and pains of old age).Jeanette Hugh
Happiness is a choice.Carol Jean Eves
I have two choices: I can choose to be happy or I can choose to be sad; and I choose to be happy. The trick is to enjoy life. Don’t wish away your days waiting for better ones ahead.Lenore Tisdale
After 80+ trips around the sun –about 60 billion miles around the galaxy – approximately 3.76 trillion miles though the universe I have learned that I don’t know anything-----but here is what I have observed: Here we are on this little tiny spaceship out in the middle of the universe, with no filling stations , rest stops or  convenience  stores that we know about , and yet we choose to fight over everything to the point of doing away with each other  and ripping up the planet.  I wonder if we could do better?  All in all I still love everything about this world and life and blessings I have had.Dale Heaton

Sadly, now that we’re old and wise, no one wants our advice.

           Even when you're old and supposed to be wise, on the spur of the moment, it's difficult to think of what you have learned in your long life. We should write down our bits of wisdom as they come to us each day. 
     This morning as I walk into the kitchen, my feet stick with every step. DeRay had bottled 12 quarts of bread and butter pickles late last night.
     "The Cardinal Rule of Canning is you mop the floor before going to bed." Even before you add the sugar, the floor is sticky. I don't understand it. It's something I know to be true from years of experience.
      The second thing I learned this morning.  If you ever lose your family and want them to come quickly, mop the floor. I wasn't quite finished when I hear these footsteps coming up from the basement, then clomp clomp clomp down the stairs; the cats rush in from outside. Everyone is gathered at  7 o'clock in the morning. DeRay rarely comes down from the computer room before noon or 2 PM. The cats generally stay out all day. Amy is usually gone. Unless you mop the floor.
     Another bit of wisdom I wish to pass on is:  If you want to get rid of something, don't bother making a trip to DI, just loan it to someone. Poof. It's gone forever. You never get it back. Until you get puffed up with pride of your grand plot, then everyone returns everything and you still have to make a trip to DI--or have them put it directly in the garbage can.  Strike that one. I'm not doing very good at emptying my nest, which I should be doing at this stage in my life.
     Each morning after shavasana, I turn on my side and lie in the fetal position before getting up. The fetal position symbolizes a new beginning, a new birth; a fresh start on the day. I sometimes think of a gypsy song we learned in high school: We only live for just one day.* Each day is a new life. Refreshing. So many possibilities without the burden of yesterday's problems and mistakes. Miles Davis said it best: My future starts when I wake up every morning.
     Another thing I have learned, I am reminded as I attempt to get up off the ball after sitting at my computer for too long, is that it doesn't matter how much you work out at the gym, how many miles you trike ride or how many stretches you do daily, if you pull weeds in the garden for two hours one day and two hours the next day, you will be so stiff and sore you can hardly move. For days. Why is that?


*“Play, gypsies, dance, gypsies, play while you may.
We’re gypsies one and all I say,
And through our youth’s May time, love’s playtime
Hearts ever gay.
We only live for just one day

The will o’wisp of pleasure glides
All the future hides
Love the only law obeying
Youth, a gypsy, goes a straying”

—Emmerich Kalman (1908)
                      From the operetta "Countess Maritza"

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Excellent bits of advice!!! and there is something about those balls that makes them hard to get out of, even if you haven't worked out....