Thursday, October 20, 2016

Families and Open Adoption October 13, 2016


There was a time when adoptions were a source of shame for a birth mother, and weren’t discussed in the adoptive family. But that slowly changed with birth control, a demographic shift in babies available for adoption, and the “adoption rights movement.” Today, 95% of infants in the U.S. are placed in “open adoptions” where the birth mother and the family have some sort of contact. Thursday, we’re talking about how adoption has changed over time, and what it means for children and families.

     Listening to Dr. Doug Frabrezio’s podcast on Open Adoptions, I unexpectedly realized a profound truth.  I listened to it because of my interest in adoption. What I got out of it was something entirely different.
At the beginning of the program, Doug revealed that he was adopted in the 60’s when adoptions were closed. You knew nothing. No medical records, no nothing. (Jeanne, adopted in the 60’s, was 5 months old before we found out she had a congenital hip deformity, which is hereditary. Usually they discover it at birth. If we had known she had a propensity for it and found it sooner, she would not have had to be in a brace for so long and wouldn’t have missed the critical creeping and crawling stages.  When I called the LDS Adoption Agency to ask them if they had record of it, they didn’t say. All they said was: “Do you want to return her?”  That blew my mind. Upset me to the core. Return her? Is that the way you talk about my baby? She is not damaged merchandize. She is our child. I told them I simply wondered if they had withheld helpful medical information.)
The first person Doug interviewed was Amy, a 40-year-old landscape architect who gave her baby up for adoption. It was an open adoption. She sees him to this day. They had no contracts as far as visitations rights, photos, contact; they trusted each other. She interviewed many couples before she chose this one and it has worked out well. Yet she grieves. She can’t touch him. She yearned to hold him.  She feels like it would be a betrayal to his parents if she told him what is in her heart. She thinks he might feel a loss too.  In her dream she touched him, tousled his hair. “The fantastic thing was touching him.”  When she awoke, she realized she would never ever ever be her son’s mother.  When she found out she was pregnant, she realized what she felt was the early seeds of a lifelong grief.  She felt she didn’t have a right to grieve or make others aware of her grief.  Her social worker told her that grief would eventually fade away. “It doesn’t. It changes. Now I’m missing a 16 year-old; next year I’ll be missing a 17-year-old.” They text and email and he asks her questions but they are noncommittal and simple.  She wrote the book God and Jetfire, Confessions of a Birth Mother by Amy Seek; in which she writes in beautiful prose how “In my dreams, I can touch you.”
Reviews: “My son,” she writes over and over. It is important that she is able to claim her rightful role, but her sadness and loss is tied up with ownership. Still, I have not read a more comprehensive book on the grieving that accompanies the adoption process. Seek’s eloquent if occasionally self-­indulgent prose makes this important memoir resonate. As she shows, adoption does not end when a child changes hands. It’s a sad, lovely and continuing conversation that she bravely documents.   New York Times Sunday’s Book Review (last paragraph) By JENNIFER GILMOREJULY 20, 2015
Written with literary poise and distinction, God and Jetfire is the story of a life divided between grief and gratitude, regret and joy. It is an elegy for a lost motherhood, a celebration of a family gained, and an apology to a beloved son.
Next Doug had an emeritus history professor who wrote a book 20 years ago on the history of adoption. He talked about how adoptions used to be secret and shameful; closed records. Unwed pregnant women were considered neurotic, psychosomatic, very sick; and it was best for the child to separate them from their mothers.  The mother was feeble minded for having a child out of wedlock and the child was carrying the feeble minded gene.  (I wonder where the fathers were. They were probably brilliant.)  After World War II, it was considered patriotic to have children and those who couldn’t, in desperation, adopted.
Then he introduced a couple from Salt Lake City who adopted a baby boy in an open adoption. Emily, who lives back east, is the birth mother; Tyson, the father, lives in SLC.  Curt and Jerry are the parents. Jerry is an adoptee himself.
“All four people love him and want the best for him.”
They were so full of love. They’ve had their trials. One lost a brother; then he came out to his very LDS parents. But the kindness and love oozed from both of them.
There is only one person who can carry the title “Mother” in our family. He has three fathers: Papa, Daddy, and Tyson but Emily is his only mother.
“All four of us love him so much.”
No matter how much we love him, Emily and Tyson love him too and they will always be his parents.  There cannot be too much love for a child. We love Oscar. He is our son. We love Emily because she is part of our family.
Emily wanted us there when he was born; she wanted us to be the first ones to hold Oscar.
Grief and joy at the same time.
Open adoption is not co-parenting.  His birth mother doesn’t make day-to-day decisions.
We don’t like to hear “giving up a child for adoption”. That’s a swear word in our house.  Giving up or give up connotes a sense of loss. We say a child is placed.
Curt and Jerry want the birth parents to be physical (hugs) with Oscar if they want to.
Emily’s experience is just as important as ours and Oscar’s. The best thing for all of us is for her to stay involved.
I feel so privileged to be his father.

The first part of this podcast was about grief and loss.
The second part was statistical and scholarly.
The third part was about love, joy, and acceptance.

The profound truth I learned today:
The reason God put gay people on earth was to show us how to love. Truly love. Not fake love. True unconditional enlightening edifying love.  Heartfelt and genuine. And I felt that so keenly today just listening to Curt and Jerry tell their story.

Re adoption, personally I have ambivalent feelings. We have been rejected and hurt by adopting. No, we weren’t perfect parents but we did the best we could. I have always maintained that I don’t blame our daughter because I don’t know what it feels like to be adopted. On the other hand, she doesn’t know what it feels like to be an adoptive parent.  We had hopes and dreams too.  We felt a keen sense of responsibility, love, and gratitude for her.  I remember driving up the hill toward home one dark stormy ominous night holding her in my arms and I thought: “How could anyone trust us with this precious baby? What if harm comes to her?” I don’t know how God trusts any of us with tiny, helpless babies. They are so beautiful and vulnerable.

No comments: