A
little background.
Henager’s had a program where you live free in private homes
and help out. (Pre-nanny program.) Of the friends in our
group at Henager’s who signed up to do this, I was the only one who
lasted. The others were in homes where
they were expected to tend children. Beverly, our new friend from Panguitch,
got in a home with lots of little children but she moved into the Beehive House
when the husband chased her around the kitchen table. There were only two
little girls in the home Mary Lee was in but she moved in with her cousin on
the avenues when she checked the December calendar and the parents were
scheduled to be gone every single night in December leaving her to tend and
feed the kids. (Henager's ran an accelerated program and we had a lot of studying every night, especially when we got into speedwriting.) Mary Lee was the youngest in her family (after her sister
Jeanene died of leukemia) and she was pampered and cherished. She was not a
slave. I don’t remember why LaVon from Lehi moved out.
I had a gratifying school year living with Bishop Terry, who was on the police force, and his
youngest daughter, Janee, who was a Sophomore or Junior at South High. Her
mother had died a lingering death of cancer the year before. Bishop Terry was
busy with his career, being bishop, and dating. (He’d talk to Florence on the
phone half the night after her got home at 1 AM.) and he didn’t like her to be
alone so much. All I had to do was help
with the housework, cooking, and keep Janee company. She had a boyfriend who
came over every night. They would study and visit in the living room. I’d hole
up in our bedroom and study and write letters. I didn’t cause them any trouble,
as Bishop Terry told the ward members when he called on me to talk the last
Sunday I spent with them. He said lots of nice things about me and they have
always had a special spot in my heart.
Jeanette & Janee in front of her house
45 Hartwell Ave. SLC, UT
Carol
Jean and Mary Lee were classmates from Valley, both cousins. Marjorie is Carol
Jean’s sister, two years older. Mary Lee and I were going to Henager’s School
of Business. Carol Jean was going to BYU. I don’t remember what Marjorie was
doing.
Marjean was Janee's married sister, next to her in age.
Marjean was Janee's married sister, next to her in age.
Marva,
who picked me up for conference (if I had been ready) was my brother DeLoy’s
girlfriend, who lived in Mantua.
How things change in the gift department.
From
my diary:
Saturday,
October 2, 1954
I
drug out about 9:30 and started to clean house. I cleaned the kitchen, bath and
bed rooms then got ready to go shopping. Met Carol Jean, Marjorie, and Mary Lee
uptown. We spent the afternoon shopping and visiting. It was sur’ fun. I bought
me some black heels, two belts and a collar. When I got home, Janee and Marjean
had a big birthday dinner fixed for me with a special cake and everything. It
was really swell. Then they helped me get ready to go to the fabulous Rainbow
Gardens. Went with Fred from the U. Had fun.
Sunday,
October 3, 1954
I
opened all my wonderful presents from home at 2 AM. Mama and everybody are so
wonderful.;;
Mama
and kids: slips, camisole, nylons, barrettes, stationary, skirt, candy, gum.
Lucy:
sweater
Shirley:
aprons
Janee
and Bishop – book, figurine, slip
Mary
Lee – pants
Nan
– soap
Royce
- $5.00
Georgia
– barrettes.
FaeDonna
– nylons
Dolly
– necklace
DeRay
– perfume
Marva
called for me for conference but I wasn’t ready so I took a bus up and only
waited until 9 (two hours) for Mary Lee. I was really sick by the time she
came. We fooled around during morning session but went to afternoon. Sure
enjoyed it. Highlight of my birthday and just the thing to top it off was when
I got to shake hands with President David O. McKay.
Diary 1955:
Sunday I was called out of the audience to give a talk -
I stammered a few words but the things Bishop Terry
said to them about me before I started
were the nicest things anyone has ever said about me.
Many nice things. I won't forget.
(But I have.)
Guests at my graduation were Mama, DeMoin, Lucy,
Janee and Pete, Judy, Myrna, Connie, Bishop Terry and Florence.
Oh yes - exercises were in Hotel Utah.
After the exercises,
Judy's mother invited us all, Mary Lee too, down to a delicious buffet.
We really had a wonderful time!
(Judy, Myrna, and Connie were Janee's friends in the Ward.)
Judy, Connie, Janee, Jeanette visiting Southern Utah
Connie, Judy, (unremembered cousin), Janee, Carol, Jeanette
(everyone at Pipe Springs and Moccasin was our cousin in those days)




No comments:
Post a Comment