I went swimming today
for the first time in months
It felt good.
They had me scheduled for
a hysterectomy
when the MRI shows I have cancer in
my bones.
The cancer in my femur bone
had almost eaten the bone away
so Dr. Harris refused to operate.
Dr. Groundland, the orthopedic
surgeon,
assured her that since I have no
pain,
it would safe to operate.
A week later,
she performed the long-awaited for
hysterectomy.
She also cleaned up scar tissue
and gooey sticky gunk from
endometric surgery
nearly 50 years ago
but she couldn’t get all the cancer
that, unfortunately, was both inside
and outside
the uterus.
As implausible as it sounds,
it was also breast cancer.
Breast cancer is back in the breast
also.
“Breast cancer never comes back this
soon.”
“Breast cancer rarely goes to the
uterus.”
While I was wiping between my toes,
standing in a figure 4 position,
a sharp pain shot through my hip.
A hairline fracture.
That changed everything.
While I was wiping between my toes,
standing in a figure 4 position,
a sharp pain shot through my hip.
A hairline fracture.
That changed everything.
Two days later,the orthopedic surgeon
put a rod in my femur bone
from hip to knee.
The biopsy showed it to be
breast cancer also.
It has spread throughout my body.
Stage 4 - metastasis.
“We can treat you
but we cannot cure you.”
--When your oncologist gives you a hug,
when the GYN surgeon frowns and says
“It seems all I give you is bad
news.”
And your orthopod pats you on the
knee
and says, “I’m sorry.”
And when you get the same nurse
preparing you
for both surgeries,
And on the second one, she sits by
your bedside and asks:
“What happened to you?
You’ve lost your spunk.
You were quite feisty with the first
surgery.
I like feisty.”
(For one thing,
with the first surgery,
I had been bleeding for seven weeks
and they had me get all undressed
and then went into a panic mode
when I bled all over the bed and
floor.)--
You know you are in BIG trouble.
You know you are in BIG trouble.
Thank heavens Brent was here for both
surgeries.
His family came to help the week I
had the second surgery.
They did wonders with Eddy.
Brent even had him doing yoga – downdog
and all.
He taught him to put on his own fins.
To cook his own breakfast and lunch,
make his bed, clean his bathroom.
Our favorite was he taught him to pee in a cup.
“I love my pee-cup,” Ed brags.
No more mopping up around the toilet
daily.
(Remember Uncle Ed used a can when he
was out on the boat
fishing on Panguitch Lake all day.
He called it a Pecan (pee-can).)
Jan taught Ed to do the laundry and
run the microwave.
Amy has become our chief cook.
She is so much better than I ever thought of being.
She tried to keep the counters clean
but soon gave up on that with no help.
DeRay makes corned beef and cabbage
and vacuums.
Amy has become our chief cook.
She is so much better than I ever thought of being.
She tried to keep the counters clean
but soon gave up on that with no help.
DeRay makes corned beef and cabbage
and vacuums.
Amy, DeRay, Brooke and Elizabeth
have all risen to the challenge.
Someone was with me day and night
all the time I was in the hospital
for both surgeries.
Just this past Monday,
Elizabeth drove me down to the
Huntsman Cancer Center
We left at 10:20
and didn’t get home until after 5.
I couldn’t do it alone.
Faslodex shots,
x-rays,
IV for infusion and blood tests,
as well as meeting with several
doctors.
(The Pharmacy makes up the infusion serum
special
for each individual - $10,000 each.
Once a month.)
I had radiation on my femur bone
because the surgeon couldn’t get all
the cancer out.
I’ll have radiation on other bones as
they
become painful.
I've lost track of the number of big steel cylinder machines
that have scanned up and down my body
and around and around
with my feet strapped together
and my hands hanging onto something
to keep them stable.
If you dare to open your eyes,
it seems the room is going around.
Close them quickly.
I've lost track of the number of big steel cylinder machines
that have scanned up and down my body
and around and around
with my feet strapped together
and my hands hanging onto something
to keep them stable.
If you dare to open your eyes,
it seems the room is going around.
Close them quickly.
When Verla brings food,
she doesn’t just bring it for one
meal
It lasts at least a week.
Brooke & Elizabeth make special occasions
more special
by inviting us over for delicious meals.
Brooke & Elizabeth make special occasions
more special
by inviting us over for delicious meals.
I am so thankful to everyone,
for the prayers, plants, flowers, and
food.
So far the $640 a pill pills haven’t
killed me.
I’m learning to walk with canes,
hoping to abandon the walker soon.
(I know we have others in our family
who use a walker
or can’t even do that now.)
The guy who moves a cone so we can park
at the theater
walks on steel tubes for legs,
whatever the weather.
Lord, forgive me when I whine.
I have two legs, the world is mine.
The guy who moves a cone so we can park
at the theater
walks on steel tubes for legs,
whatever the weather.
Lord, forgive me when I whine.
I have two legs, the world is mine.
A physical therapist, who happens to
be my neighbor,
comes twice a week.
When I leave this frail existence
When I lay this mortal by
Father, Mother may I meet you
In the royal courts on high.
Until then,
may each day count.
“It's a beautiful day.
I’ve never seen this day before.”
1 comment:
hj, Written like a pro! ld
Post a Comment