Back in the
old days,
the Sunday
School secretary
sat on the
stand during Sunday School
opening exercises.
(Like the
Ward Clerk always sat on the stand
during Sacrament
meeting.)
DeRay had
graduated from college,
we had
bought our first home,
and both were working at Geneva Steel
when Mother’s
Day rolled around.
I refused
to sit on the stand
and have
everyone stare at me
because we
had been married
over six
years and had no children.
I felt so
sorry for myself
that until
the day was almost over,
I forgot I
had a mother.
An extraordinary mother
who,
after the
death of her husband at age 43,
reared her
eight children
ranging in
age from 1 year to 18
by herself.
She only
had an 8th grade education,
but she
miraculously acquired the job
as Orderville
Postmaster
two years
after Daddy died.
She raised
two big gardens,
She bottled
fruits and vegetables,
She sewed
and did all her own housework.
How could I
forget her?
My heroine.
My
champion.
Superwoman
really.
Everyone in the whole wide world has a mother.
No
exceptions.
We celebrate to honor mothers;
not to be a mother.
We celebrate to honor mothers;
not to be a mother.
Thank you,
Mama.
No comments:
Post a Comment