Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Vote of No Confidence


     Ed & I were getting ready to go to the gym. We had been a couple of times with DeRay to make sure I could get in and out of the pool and manage the walker. Today we were going to go alone for the first time in months. As he is preparing his breakfast, he says: “I don’t know if I trust you. I did then, but I don’t now.”
    To be honest, I was a little nervous myself. I haven’t driven since January and I can’t find my Driver’s License. I don't know if my leg will react quickly enough if a child runs in front of the car or a truck pulls in front of me without signaling.
     Still . . .I felt a little like Theresa May on a bit smaller scale.
     Last Friday in the pool, Ed is putting on his goggles when he suddenly throws them down. “What?” “Bad way to end the week.” “Your goggles broke?” “Bad way to end the week.” “Your swim suit ripped?” “Bad way to end the week.” “Something wrong with your fins?” “Bad way to end the week.” Then I look up at him. I’m in the pool, he’s still sitting on the side. Oh no!  His artificial eye is missing. I look down. Yip. At the bottom of the pool—hopefully. I say to Dr. Wall in the next lane, “Would you do me a favor? Ed’s eye fell out. Could you dive for it?”
   I’ll bet he had a good story to tell his family that night, “This crazy lady who swims next to me asked me to dive for her son’s eye!”

No comments: