On
Friday, I awaken from my hour nap thinking what a wonderful day this has been.
Getting
up before 7, I do my stretches. Read the newspaper. Mop the kitchen floor while
canning turkey broth. Fix breakfast for Ed and a breakfast for the road for me.
I wanted to leave at 9 but it was 9:20 by the time he was ready. We stopped at
the lab at Tanner Clinic to have a blood test. My doctor wouldn’t renew my
thyroid prescription without checking my blood. Three-day holiday weekend
coming up, I wanted to get it done as I’m running out of pills. By some
miracle, we barely set down before my name was called. The parking lot was
packed; the waiting room was full. I thought we might be there all day. She was
efficient and we were off to the gym. I forgot to eat my breakfast on the 5
minute ride to the gym so I sat in the car to eat it. I told Ed to go ahead and
go upstairs and start his machines. I have to eat slowly so food doesn’t get
caught in my throat so I was at least 10 minutes eating my piece of bread, a
boiled egg and slice of cheese. Ed was waiting in the lobby. By now, it’s 10
AM. Swimming laps starts at 10:30. Elliptical, treadmill, bike. Off to swim. Oh, oh, all lanes full. Ed was waiting in the
first lane with the old man swimming next to him. I asked the young fellow in
the next lane if I could swim with him. His mother talked to me and asked me
how I got Ed to swim so good. She said she’d been watching him for over a year.
I kept waiting for the guy in the lane with Ed to finish but I only had four
more laps when he did. After showering, we met in the weight room and did our
weights, getting home at 1 PM exactly, according to Ed’s request. “I’ve only
got about an hour,” he tells me when I suggest we meet in the weight room.
I
have lunch and fix Ed’s lunch. He watches his programs until 2. I checked my
(no) messages and Facebook and go in for a nap.
I
compared the way I feel this day with the way I felt on Wednesday. A wasted
day. Full of regret.
My
visiting teachers came at 9. Usually, they go to Berdeen at 10. I didn’t find
out until they were leaving that Berdeen had back surgery and they were taking
dinner in that night. I didn’t have a watch. It did seem like they were staying
a long time. It was 11:15. Ed hadn’t even eaten breakfast. He had patiently
waited in his swimming suit in his room so he wouldn’t bother them. We quickly
had breakfast but he thought it was too late to go to the gym so we decided to
play games for ½ hour. I ran up to change my clothes and was gone so long he
gave up on me. I felt so badly as I saw him shut the door to his room. I had
let him down. He had counted on me.
I
did a little vacuuming but mainly moped around for the rest of the day. Brooke
came over to help DeRay install a gas line to the stove so we couldn’t even
watch TV. I didn’t do the vibrator. I did call Alison (90-years-old) and check
to see if she was dead since she didn’t send me a Christmas card and I had been
concerned about her. (Anymore, she only sends Christmas cards to people who
send them to her, which is what I do; so we’re at an impasse.)
We
didn’t go to the gym on Monday because Ed’s cold was so bad; we didn’t go on
Tuesday because R.C.Willey was coming to install the new stove (but couldn’t
because of gas and electricity problems). We planned to go on Thursday but he came down
in this pajamas saying, “I listened to the traffic report and I’m not taking
any chances.” Snow and ice on the roads. So I cleaned the kitchen and three
bathrooms and felt vindicated and OK about the day.
Why
was Friday a good day and Wednesday a bad day? I rarely visit with people. It’s
not a sin. I go to the gym routinely. Missing a week is OK. Am I messed up? Do
I feel that devoted to Eddy that I have no life of my own? I don’t know what’s
wrong with me. All I know is that Friday made me happy and on Wednesday I was melancholy
and miserable.
No comments:
Post a Comment