Thursday, January 19, 2017

Love for Country

    Ed comes down this morning all decked out in his patriotic sunglasses. "What's the occasion?"
    "The inauguration tomorrow," he explains. "I love this country and the freedoms that we enjoy."

     I love this country and the freedoms that we enjoy too. This is my patriotism and feelings expressed best by others: 
"I listened as they called my President a Muslim.
I listened as they called him and his family a pack of monkeys.
I listened as they said he wasn't born here.
I watched as they blocked every single path to progress that they could.
I saw the pictures of him as Hitler.
I watched them shut down the government and hurt the entire nation twice.
I watched them turn their backs on every opportunity to open worthwhile dialog.
I watched them say that they would not even listen to any choice for Supreme Court no matter who the nominee was.
I listened as they openly said that they will oppose him at every turn.
I watched as they did just that.
I listened.
I watched.
I paid attention.
Now, I'm being called on to be tolerant.
To move forward.
To denounce protesters.
To "Get over it."
To accept this...
I will not.
I will do my part to make sure this great American mistake becomes the embarrassing footnote of our history that it deserves to be.
I will do this as quickly as possible every chance I get.
I will do my part to limit the damage that this man can do to my country.
I will watch his every move and point out every single mistake and misdeed in a loud and proud voice.
I will let you know in a loud voice every time this man backs away from a promise he made to them.
Them. The people who voted for him.
The ones who sold their souls and prayed for him to win.
I will do this so that they never forget.
And they will hear me.
They will see it in my eyes when I look at them.
They will hear it in my voice when I talk to them.
They will know that I know who they are.
They will know that I know what they are.
Do not call for my tolerance. I've tolerated all I can.
Now it's their turn to tolerate ridicule.
Be aware, make no mistake about it, every single thing that goes wrong in
our country from this day forward is now Trump's fault just as much as they thought it was Obama's.
I find it unreasonable for them to expect from me what they were entirely unwilling to give."---Author unknown.

Someone wrote: 
Mormon "values" should have prohibited support of Trump.
And in a nutshell, that’s my premise.

Amy’s friend, Shawnee Loris-Sawyer shared Valerie Williams blog and wrote:
This is a classy guy and a great role model to parents, fathers, and husbands. Our upcoming orangutan has said his own daughter is hot and he would date her etc. BARF!!!! I don't get how the GOP makes being anti-abortion the only family value that's important.
Political views aside, it’s hard for anyone to deny that President Obama is a dedicated parent. Alongside the First Lady, he’s raised two daughters in the public eye for the past eight years without a single misstep. Now, in his last address before leaving office, he pays tribute to these amazing girls and reminds us that the title he’s most proud to hold will always be that of “dad.”
In last night’s farewell address, President Obama made many Americans emotional for more reasons than one, but possibly his most tear-jerking moment was when he spoke of his daughters, Sasha and Malia.
First, he praises Michelle, calling her not only his wife and the mother of his children, but his “best friend.” He says, “You took on a role you didn’t ask for and made it your own with grace and grit and style and good humor. You made the White House a place that belongs to everybody. And a new generation sets its sights higher because it has you as a role model. You’ve made me proud. You’ve made the country proud.”
Someone pass the tissues, please. Like, the entire box.
As if that wasn’t heart-wrenching enough, he then speaks lovingly of Sasha and Malia, making pretty much everyone cry, including Malia. The Dad-in-Chief says, “Malia and Sasha, under the strangest of circumstances, you have become two amazing young women, smart and beautiful, but more importantly, kind and thoughtful and full of passion. You wore the burden of years in the spotlight so easily. Of all that I’ve done in my life, I’m most proud to be your dad.”
As the President became choked up, so did the crowd. Watching Malia wipe tears from her face as she listened to her father’s words, it’s clear to anyone watching that this family has an incredible amount of love for each other, along with an unshakable bond. Despite eight years of vile hatred lobbed their way, the Obamas have maintained an unprecedented level of class and grace, never stooping to the level of their detractors. And there’s no question that the gracious example of the President and First Lady is the reason Malia and Sasha have grown from sweet little girls into such admirable young women.
When Obama speaks of the “burden” they bore, it’s hard to imagine what they’ve had to read about their family over the years. But with parents like theirs, they came through it with flying colors.
And not that we needed more proof of the Obamas being amazing parents, but we got yet another example last night of the values they’re instilling in their girls when Sasha was absent from her father’s farewell address. Social media noticed she was missing and began to speculate, but it turns out, the younger Obama daughter had a very teenagerly reason for not being there; she had an exam this morning that she needed to study and rest up for.
Could they be more grounded and normal?
We’ve had the most shining example of loving parenting and family life from the Obamas for the last eight years. We will miss them dearly for a number of reasons, but mostly, we will miss having a first family that people from either side of the aisle could be proud of. A constant reminder of what an American family should be.
Thank you, Obamas. From the bottom of our hearts.


Trump has me searching for a new religion
By Garrison Keillor January 17 Washington Post
And so the Boy President heads for Washington to be sworn into office, pumping his fist, mooning the media, giving the stinky finger to whomever irks him, doing his end-zone dance, promising to build the wall, cut taxes, create jobs, provide great health insurance for EVERYONE and send his son-in-law to the Middle East to solve that little problem, and the rest of us will sit in a barn and keep ourselves warm and hide our heads under our wings, poor things. Discouraging.
So I’ve been shopping around for a new religion to see me through the next four years. Too many of my fellow Christians voted for selfishness and for degradation of the beautiful world God created. I guess they figured that by the time the planet was a smoky wasteland, they’d be nice and comfy in heaven, so wotthehell. Anyhow, I’m looking around for other options.
Buddhism involves way too much sitting still for my taste; the Dalai Lama basically says, “Be gentle. Listen to the universe. Live in the moment. Let happiness flow through you.” And I think to myself, “This man has never had children.” Hinduism includes sacred cows, and my experience with cattle makes it impossible for me to revere them; they are stubborn and stupid, and letting them wander loose in the streets — why? Prime rib is their proper destiny.
Islam is great and so is Judaism but they’re so complicated! You can’t just walk into a temple and listen to a holy person and burst into tears and throw yourself down on the floor, as you can with Christianity, and say, “I believe!” and get dunked in water and, shazam, you’re in.
And spirituality is no go for me, like what you read about in books with sentences like “Creativity is the journey of channeling connectedness and realizing the potentiality of being.” Don’t want that. I want a religion.
At the moment, Zoroastrianism is looking good to me. Compared with other religions, it feels comfortable, something a guy could get used to. (It has nothing to do with the masked adventure hero Zorro, by the way. Or his ass.) Zoroastrians believe in one Great Almighty Spirit of Good who is in combat against evil forces, and Goodness prevails in the end. There is no self-flagellation or staring at the sun or snake-handling. In the afterlife, you will basically reap what you sowed in life. If you were industrious, generous and kind, you’ll be okay, and if you lied and cheated and didn’t pay your bills and plastered your name on big buildings, beware.
If I embraced it, I’d be one of the few Zoroastrians in Minnesota and I could start my own First Reformed Zoroastrian temple and pretty much write my own ticket. This is a huge advantage over the old system of adopting the religion of your forefathers. My parents were Bible-believing Christians, but I don’t get the parable where the latecomers get the same pay as the early birds and also the part about lust in your heart being the same as committing adultery itself: Where did that come from? A Christian who believes in those things is not going to be a happy person.
My religion would be a gentle faith that believed in the sacredness of leisure. Napping as a form of prayer. You worship the Lord by sitting on the porch and sipping iced tea and dozing off over a good book. Baseball is part of Reformed Zoroastrianism, and the number three, and Ferris wheels and deep-fried cheese curds. A tolerant religion, but it would come down hard on tailgaters and the writers of technical manuals and people who butt in when you’re busy working. “I’m sorry to disturb you,” they say. Well, then don’t, okay?
But then I stop and think about all the work involved in starting up a religion and deciding on dogma and having mystical visions, and proclaiming the truth to people who don’t care, and dealing with the oddballs and misfits who’d be attracted to the thing, and I think, “No way.”
So I am left with Confucianism, accepting the sacredness of confusion. Life is messy and it always has been. We work hard to earn money, we neglect our health and then we pay the money to restore our health, meanwhile we forgot how to enjoy life, so what good is health anyway, and now 80,000 people in three states have elected a president who can’t focus on anything for more than a couple of sentences and who contradicts himself every other day. So it goes. Have mercy.

No comments: