Friday, October 18, 2019

I was Hoodwinked


When I first found the lump on my breast
I went to the University of Utah Hospital
where my primary care doctor was.
Except, of course, I couldn’t get in with her
on short notice,
so I went to the guy who was available.
He thought I needed a biopsy
and since it was Friday afternoon
and a holiday weekend,
he suggested I go to
the Lakeview Hospital in Bountiful.
I still waited until Tuesday.
Why didn’t I just wait for the U?
Without asking,
when I went back to get the results
to find out I had cancer,
they had me lined up with the four or five
different procedures and doctors
in four or five different locations
until I was cured.
They gave me a large loose-leaf
with all my appointments and instructions.
It was an ordeal to change and
get in with the Huntsman Cancer Center.
More waiting and anxiety.
They don’t care.
I specifically went to the Women’s Center
so I would have all women doctors.
Women surgeons, women anesthesiologists,
women oncologists, women gynecologists and obstetricians, women radiologists, technologists.
Women running all the machines:
MRI, CAT scans, X-rays, bone scans.
Women power!
Yesterday,
I got hoodwinked.
When I went in for my regular appointment
with Dr. Catherine Beck,
her name was on the door,
the same nurses came in and out taking vitals.
Eventually in walked a brown young man with an
accent
followed by his nurse.
He explained that he is doing a pre-check.
Since this is a teaching hospital, this was not
unusual.
I still expected Dr. Beck.
Finally I asked: “Isn’t Dr. Beck coming in?”
“No. I’m Dr. Beck.”
And there I was with a new doctor.
He had to use her name
because he’s not cleared to handle Medicare patients.
A man-boy breast cancer doctor!
After all my efforts.
Update Nov. 5, 2019
His name is Christos Vaklavas
Where would a name like that originate?



1 comment:

c_gale2001 said...

Greece is where he went to Med school.