Ed and I went out at 6:15 pm to watch the sunset;
Deck 6 was closed so we
went to Deck 12, the Sports Deck.
Here we are
cruising somewhere in the Caribbean Sea
between Cuba and Aruba.
Our sunset revelry
is disturbed
when a voice from Deck 11
shouts up at us:
“Are you with that guy who
wears a Bike MO T-shirt?”
“Yes.”
We had only been out two
days,
how would he have us
connected with
“that guy wearing the Bike
MO T-shirt?”
“The thing that caught my
eye,” he hollered,
“is the Missouri Bicycle
Federation logo.”
“Yes, my son is the
Executive Director
of the Missouri Bicycle Federation.”
“BRENT HUGH?”
he shouts.
“Yes!”
Imagine how strange it
sounds
to be so far from home
out on a vast ocean
talking to a total stranger
and have him shout your
son’s name?
We visit and talk about
the Katy Trail
and how dry the summer was
in Missouri.
He rides a recumbent also.
He is a card carrying
member
of the Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation.
“Brent’s doing a good job,
but don’t tell him you
talked to me.
I have an idea. . .” Sims
said.
It turned out he and his
wife were on our same deck
so I chatted with them off
and on during the cruise
as I met them in the
elevator and elsewhere.
He explained how he
planned to
surprise Brent with the
news that he met me.
*
I couldn’t wait.
I spilled the beans
first time I talked to
Brent.
For all I know,
they were round
tripping
and would be
gone for another
two weeks
after
we got off.
How long did
he expect
me to hold it
in?
No comments:
Post a Comment