Monday, November 19, 2012

I Thought I Was Teaching My Son



At the 2001 Fair & Expo at Santa Barbara, California, the following article won First Place in Creative Writing - Inspiration, and Best of Show in the Creative Writing division.
I thought I was teaching
my son about courage;
then I stood by his bedside when
they wheeled him back after innumerable
surgeries patiently and silently enduring
what he had unabashedly dreaded.

I thought I was teaching
my son about faith, then he said,
"Be a good sport, sweetheart.
Everything's going to be OK, Mom.
I promise you Brent will feel better
and go on his mission.
I love you."

I thought I was teaching
my son about love, yet he
hasn't missed a day
since he started talking,
saying, "I love you, Mom.
How about a kiss.
You love my kisses, don't you?"
Often, he also says words like,
"I sure do love Brother Wilde."
"How come Aunt Shirley's
so good to me?
I don't deserve it.
I sure do love her."

I thought I was teaching
my son about family,
then he says "I have two favorite
brothers and two favorite sisters-in-law;
two favorite nephews and one favorite niece.
And one favorite sister.
No wonder I love my family so much."
"I love it when my sister Amy comes home!"
"We talked about families in seminary.
I told Allison that I loved you guys
and her family too."
"Who's Allison?" I queried.
"The girl who sits next to me."

I thought I was teaching
my son about compassion,
then even when he sometimes says
his life is hateful,
he pats me and explains,
"But I don't blame you, Mom."

I thought I was teaching
my son about understanding when still young.
As his aunt helped our critically ill
mother sit up in bed
to eat breakfast, he
cheered her on with,
"Sit up, Grandma."
Then when she was settled,
he rewarded her with,
"Good boy, Grandma!"

I thought I was teaching
my son about gratitude,
then I heard him say,
"Thank you for the breakfast, Mom.
It sure was good."
"Thank you for picking me up.
I sure do appreciate it."
"Dad's my man.
I sure enjoyed going with him yesterday."
"It's from Aunt Verla, Mom,
the one I'm thankful for."

I thought I was teaching
my son about forgiveness,
but when his spiritual leader
was cruel and controlling,
he kept right on going to church.

I thought I was teaching
my son to sing hymns,
as we sang a few each day
for his music education;
then though I'm a non-singer,
I learned alto well enough that I dared
sometimes sing it in church.

I thought I was teaching
my son about God,
and he tells me unashamedly,
"I love Heavenly Father and Jesus.
I do, Mom."

I thought I was teaching
my son about the universe,
then he said,
"I've been around the sun 26 times.
I've enjoyed it and I want to keep doing it.
It's so fun.
Spinning is the fun part, Mom.
I feel like we're on a giant top.
I've enjoyed
these past few days
and
past few hours."

I thought I was teaching
my son about the cosmos,
and he said,
"Don't you just love this planet, Mom?
It's the only home we've got."
"Can you believe we live on
Spaceship earth, Mom,
which is a planet?
And I'm grateful for it."

I thought I was teaching
my son about the weather,
and could hardly wait to tell him
about an enchanting snowstorm
during the night,
when he came downstairs
in the darkness of the early morning,
with his snow boots on.

I thought I was teaching
my son about loyalty,
when although his
social opportunities are limited
he said that he didn't want
to go to the Best Buddies Ball
"And miss all this?"
when we were having a family dinner
after his brother's concert.
In regard to his other brother,
he said, "I would like to go to Brooke's
concert tonight, Mom.
I know he needs me there
to support him."

I thought I was giving
my son opportunities
to read
when he explained,
"I don't like to read, Mom.
It distracts my thinking processes."

I thought I was giving
my son an education,
and I learned
so many interesting things
that somehow were missed
or forgotten
in my schooling.

I thought I was teaching
my son about culture,
and my soul was enlightened
and enriched
as we went to symphonies,
plays,
operas,
art museums,
and ballets,
to give him
opportunities.

I thought I was teaching
my son about exercise,
as I took him to the gym,
where I got addicted
to aerobics,
and sold on swimming.

I thought I was teaching
my son about travel,
and I got to go
to far away places
I never in my wildest dream
thought I would see.

Life's journey
had an intriguing twist.
I thought I was showing my son the path,
and I found my own.

2 comments:

Charmaine Anderson said...

Lovely, and I can see all this happening in your home of understanding.

JJ said...

Charmaine, What am I going to do when you go on your mission? Your encouraging words are much appreciated; and now I wish you joyful blessings as you serve with your husband. Never have I met anyone with such an array of exceptional accomplishments in so many areas. And you're nice too.