Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Teacher



My brother, DeLoy, offers suggestions for my Blast-From-The-Past Blog, as if I’m not wordy enough already.  But I can’t resist.  Both suggestions he sent today made me cry.  I don’t know why.

He takes a ragtag
band program
of around 20 students
and develops
it
into
a remarkable
philharmonic of 175
young musicians
with
rhythm
cadence
tempo
pulse
tone
euphony
harmony
confidence
discipline
honor
distinction
After the concert,
one mother comes up
attacking him
his character
his leadership
his ability
because her son
rotates with the other percussionists
to all the instruments
including the bells.
“He has more talent than that ––
He deserves more time on the snare drum.”
“A mother steps in to protect
 and promote her child,”
she summarizes with scorn.
I didn’t know that.
I should have stepped in to
protect and promote my son,
The Teacher.

First Place Creative Writing, Prose, People, 2001 Santa Barbara Fair & Expo in California.
 
 

No comments: