Brent assigned
himself to make sure Eddy gets exercise and stays fit. He suggested that we buy him an adult recumbent
trike. “No way. $3000.
We can’t afford that.” Brent
reminded us that we had given everyone else cars that cost more than
$3000. Good point. Eddy and I got adult recumbent trikes that
have been the joy of our lives. As Ed
says, “It gets me out and about.” We
ride faithfully every day except when the roads are slick.
Another time, Brent
convinced Ed to go downstairs and get a drink of water every hour. He has faithfully done this for years. Every hour on the hour.
This summer when they
came to visit, Brent told Ed he should take a little walk around the cul-de-sac
every hour when he gets his drink of water.
“Not in this heat,” Ed exclaimed vehemently, as only Ed can do. As always, Brent was persistent and won him
over.
The day Brent and Jan
left to go back to Missouri. August 1:
When he came back
after his dinner break, he bragged, “I’m finally getting the hang of it.”
2:55 PM
“Mind if I do the
circle?”
“Fine. I’m so proud
of you.”
“I’m proud of Brent
for getting me into this.
I’m going to get a
drink then do the circle.
I’m going to get my
shoes on first.
I’m finally doing my
favorite thing.”
Returning home:
“It’s fun to do that,
Mom.
It’s fun to do the
circle.
I’ll be out there again
this evening.”
“I love this
cul-de-sac, Mom.
I’m going to do it
every day.
Weather permitting.”
I failed.
I wanted to go over
with Amy when she had a cyst removed from inside her mouth since we were out of
town when she had two stomach surgeries a few years ago and she has never forgiven
us. When we first got to the plastic surgeon’s
office, they told her he was delayed at the hospital and it would be a
45-minute wait. After 45 minutes, they
said it probably would be another 45 minutes, would she like to
reschedule? No. She has to go to school next week. It was Friday afternoon. Verla was coming on Saturday. I hadn’t vacuumed or cleaned bathrooms since our
company left; I needed to get home. “Would
you like to go for a little walk while we wait?” Amy asked. “How about if I go home and you call when the
doctor comes in?” She thought that would
be fine but she didn’t call until she was all through so I missed her surgery
again. Then, of course, I didn’t take
good care of her when she got home. "Mom was busy vacuuming and didn’t
even check on me.”
DeRay was going to
have an abscessed tooth extracted and needed someone to go with him in case he
needed medication. I rushed through the
morning to be ready to leave at 10. I
ran down to get a blood test while he was in with the oral surgeon. When he came out I asked him if he bled to
death. “They didn’t do it.” “What?”
I thought maybe they decided not to but no, because he’s on Coumadin,
they won’t do it unless he’d had his levels tested within 24 hours. So we went home and he dropped me off while
he ran to the doctor’s office and then he drove himself down and back.
I failed again.
And they are both
such invalids and in such pain, I have to do everything myself. You’d think I’d get some help out of Eddy, but
NO, he’s so busy taking his walks every hour he hardly has time to unload the
dishwasher anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment