"Ask about 50% off discounts during August,"
the Senior Sampler advertised.
Mary Poppins
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Starlight Express
I wait on the line a good 45 minutes.
$64.50
$48.50
$34.00
What about the 50% discount?
Do you have a code number?
No. I'm reading the Senior Sampler.
She quotes me lower prices.
Senior Citizen?
Local resident?
Let me check.
Believe it or not,
she is finally down to $12 per ticket.
Sold.
Plus $5 handling fee and $2 to print tickets.
Mary Poppins!
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
A sweep is as lucky
As lucky can be
Chim chiminey
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-oo!
Good luck will rub off when
I shake 'ands with you
Or blow me a kiss
And that's lucky too
Now as the ladder of life
'As been strung
You may think a sweep's
On the bottommost rung
Though I spends me time
In the ashes and soot
In this 'ole wide world
There's no 'appier bloke
Up where the smoke is
All billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars
Is the chimney sweep world
When the's 'ardly no day
Nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow
And 'alf way in light
On the roof tops of London
Coo, what a sight!
Chim chiminey
Chim chim cher-ee!
When you're with a sweep
You're in glad company
there will be a special discount.
This time the price was $15.50.
She wouldn't budge.
But I didn't have to pay $5 handling or $2 to have tickets printed.
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Delightful.
The little old bird woman comes.
In her own special way to the people she
calls,
"Come, buy my bags full of crumbs.
Come feed the little birds, show them you
care
And you'll be glad if you do.
Their young ones are hungry,
Their nests are so bare;
All it takes is tuppence from you."
Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag.
"Feed the birds," that's what she
cries,
While overhead, her birds fill the skies.
All around the cathedral the saints and
apostles
Look down as she sells her wares.
Although you can't see it, you know they
are smiling
Each time someone shows that he cares.
Though her words are simple and few,
Listen, listen, she's calling to you:
"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag,
Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag."
We'd go to Mary Poppins again
for $12 we decide Wednesday morning.
So I call.
Half-price:
$37.50
$37.50
$24.50
She finally got down to $18.50.
She finally got down to $18.50.
You know, Monday we went for $12.
We thought if we could go for $12,
we'd go again.
Pause.
Pause.
OK.
This time she didn't change me the $5 handling fee.
Just the $2 to print the tickets.
Ain't it a glorious day?
Right as a mornin' in May
I feel like I could fly
'Ave you ever seen
The grass so green?
Or a bluer sky?
Oh, it's a jolly holiday
With Mary
Mary makes your 'eart so light
When the day is gray
And ordinary
Mary makes the sun shine bright!
Oh 'appiness is bloomin'
All around 'er
The daffoldils are smilin'
At the dove
When Mary 'olds your 'and
You feel so grand
Your 'eart starts beatin'
Like a big brass band
Oh, it's a jolly holiday with Mary
No wonder that it's Mary that we love!
If you purchase your tickets for tomorrow night
during the intermission
there is a special price.
This time,
with no hassle,
he quotes me $12.
No handling fee.
No ticket charge.
$36 for three.
We finally got it right.
Starlight Express
Eddy, who loves glasses,
didn't like this one because
"Every time there was a race
I had to put the 3-D glasses on".
Fun.
I had seen this one with my sisters.
All on roller skates.
Up to the highest height
Let's go fly a kite
And send it soaring
Up through the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear
Oh, let's go fly a kite
Let's go fly a kite!
Four nights in a row.
Amazing.
Weren't you here last night?
Even the volunteers recognized us.
Eddy hugged some Snowbirders we ran into.
In ev'ry job that must be done
There is an element of fun
you find the fun and snap!
The job's a game
Nad ev'ry task you undertake
Becomes a piece of cake
A lark!
Aspree!
It's very clear to me
That a...
Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go
down
The medicine go down-wown
The medicine go down
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine
go down
In a most delightful way
A robin feathering his nest
Has very little time to rest
While gathering his
Bits of twine and twig
Though quite intent in his pursuit
He has a merry tune to toot
He knows a song
Will move the job along
For a...
Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go
down
The medicine go down-wown
The medicine go down
Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine
go down
In a most delightful way
"We're Tuacahners,"
we say to the cats when we get home the last night.
I don't know if it's the same tribe as Afrikaners
but we're probably related.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Even though the sound of it
Is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough
You'll always sound precocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Because I was afraid to speak
When I was just a lad
My father gave me nose a tweak
And told me I was bad
But then one day I learned a word
That saved me aching nose
The biggest word I ever heard
And this is how it goes:
Oh, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Even though the sound of it
Is something quite atrocious
If you say it loud enough
You'll always sound precocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
So when the cat has got your tongue
There's no need for dismay
Just summon up this word
And then you've got a lot to say
But better use it carefully
Or it may change your life
One night I said it to me girl
And now me girl's my wife!
She's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocio
And we can't get those
happy, catchy songs
out of our heads:
happy, catchy songs
out of our heads:
even in our sleep;
even while we swim;
even while we shop;
even while we eat.
Come on, mateys, step in time
Step in time
Step in time, step in time
Step in time, step in time
Never need a reason,
Never need a rhyme
Step in time, you step in time!
Round the chimney!
Round the chimney, step in time
Round the chimney, step in time
Never need a reason,
Never need a rhyme
Round the chimney, step in time
Flap like a birdie!
Flap like a birdie, step in time
Flap like a birdie, step in time
Never need a reason,
Never need a rhyme
Flap like a birdie, step in time
Over the rooftops!
Over the rooftops, step in time
Over the rooftops, step in time
Never need a reason,
Never need a rhyme... step in time!
Over the rooftops!
Over the rooftops!
Link your elbows!
Link your elbows, step in time
Link your elbows, step in time
Link your elbows
Link your elbows
Link your elbows!
Ow!
Ow, step in time
Ow, step in time
Never need a reason,
Never need a rhyme
Ow, step in time.
Amy saw the stage production of Mary Poppins in London;
but she didn't see it twice!
I'm practically perfect from head to toe
If I had a fault it would never dare to show
I'm so practically perfect in every way
Both prim and proper and never to stern
Well-educated yet willing to learn
I'm clean and honest my manner refined
and I wear shoes of the sensible kind
I suffer no nonsense and whilst I remain
there's nothing else I feel I need to explain
I'm practically perfect in every way
Practically perfect that's my forte
uncanny nannies are hard to find
Unique yet meek unspeakably kind
I'm practically perfect not slightly soiled
running like an engine that's just been freshly oiled
I'm so practically perfect in every way.
If I had a fault it would never dare to show
I'm so practically perfect in every way
Both prim and proper and never to stern
Well-educated yet willing to learn
I'm clean and honest my manner refined
and I wear shoes of the sensible kind
I suffer no nonsense and whilst I remain
there's nothing else I feel I need to explain
I'm practically perfect in every way
Practically perfect that's my forte
uncanny nannies are hard to find
Unique yet meek unspeakably kind
I'm practically perfect not slightly soiled
running like an engine that's just been freshly oiled
I'm so practically perfect in every way.
The last night at Tuacahn,
I felt like I was leaving a fun-filled week at camp
with all the cherished memories and good times.
Amy calls this last one the
"Back-to-School Anthem"
Anything can happen
if you let it
Sometimes things are difficult but you can bet it
Doesn't have to be so
Changes can be made
You can move a mountain if you use a larger spade
Anything can happen, it's a marvel
You can be a butterfly
Or just stay larval
Stretch your mind beyond fantastic
Dreams are made of strong elastic
Take some sound advice and don't forget it
Anything can happen if you let it
You won't know a challenge until you've met it
No one does it for you
No one but yourself
Vacillating violets get left up on the shelf
Anything can happen, just imagine
That should be epitaph
I wear the badge in
Honour of this world's free thinkers
Those who see beyond their blinkers
Jelly isn't jelly
'Til you set it
Anything can happen if you let it
What good is a whistle
Unless you whet it
Broaden your horizons
Open different doors
You may find a you there that you never knew was yours
Anything can happen
If you reach for the stars
All you get are the stars
But we've found a whole new spin
If you reach for the heavens
You get the stars thrown in
Anything can happen if you let it
Life is out there waiting so go and get it
Grab it by the collar, seize it by the scruff
Once you've started living life you just can't get enough
Anything can happen, it's official
You can choose the super or the superficial
Sally forth the way we're steering
Obstacles start disappearing
Go and chase your dreams you won't regret it
Anything can happen
If you let it.
Sometimes things are difficult but you can bet it
Doesn't have to be so
Changes can be made
You can move a mountain if you use a larger spade
Anything can happen, it's a marvel
You can be a butterfly
Or just stay larval
Stretch your mind beyond fantastic
Dreams are made of strong elastic
Take some sound advice and don't forget it
Anything can happen if you let it
You won't know a challenge until you've met it
No one does it for you
No one but yourself
Vacillating violets get left up on the shelf
Anything can happen, just imagine
That should be epitaph
I wear the badge in
Honour of this world's free thinkers
Those who see beyond their blinkers
Jelly isn't jelly
'Til you set it
Anything can happen if you let it
What good is a whistle
Unless you whet it
Broaden your horizons
Open different doors
You may find a you there that you never knew was yours
Anything can happen
If you reach for the stars
All you get are the stars
But we've found a whole new spin
If you reach for the heavens
You get the stars thrown in
Anything can happen if you let it
Life is out there waiting so go and get it
Grab it by the collar, seize it by the scruff
Once you've started living life you just can't get enough
Anything can happen, it's official
You can choose the super or the superficial
Sally forth the way we're steering
Obstacles start disappearing
Go and chase your dreams you won't regret it
Anything can happen
If you let it.
(She concludes:
It’s a bit more
dramatic to music with
flying, fireworks and stars, but you get the idea.)
1 comment:
I think I will hire you the next time I have a business negotiation. Good job!
Post a Comment