Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My Bucket List


My Bucket List is different than most everyone else’s.
Most people make a list of all the things they’ve always wanted to do before they die.
I make a list of the things I’ve never wanted to do before I die.
Things that I keep putting off that are hard for me like making telephone calls, decisions, and simple business stuff; chores (like cleaning the garage, shed, fruit room, computer room, deep freezer) and things like that.
I crossed two things off my “bucket list” today.  (Or I should say Brent’s Bucket List since he was the one who insisted.)
Yes.
I ordered hearing aids and
I picked up my MRI from Intermountain Medical.
(I've been meaning to do that for a year.  I want Dr. Sheldon to look at them.  The tumor has doubled in size from the last MRI.)
I've decided going to the University Hospital is by far the cheapest way to go.
We stopped by for haircuts since Karen's home beauty shop is right by Intermountain Medical.
I asked Norm how much he paid for his hearing aids.  I think he got them from Costco or Wal*Mart or maybe Sears (but I may be wrong).
$6000.
He got the top of the line.  Karen said the price ranged from $4000 to $6000.
I got the bottom of the line and mine were $2,900;
top of the line was $3900.
Actually, the price has gone up $500 since I talked to him on the phone a couple of weeks ago.
Today he said the price was $3400 and $4400.
He said since he had quoted me the other prices on the phone, he would honor them.
You know, he said that if I hadn't lost the hearing in the one ear, he wouldn't recommend hearing aids for me necessarily.  "You’re borderline."
The reason he doesn't recommend the SoundBite for me is because of my age.  As you know, you continue to lose hearing and you don't hear the high sounds and he knows I would be frustrated with Sound Bite in no time at all.  I talked to him about Jonathan again and he thinks it would be perfect for him.  He is on the SoundBite National Advisory Board and he has just been to a meeting.  He says they even have one in Boise now.  "We used to get a lot of business from Idaho."  I'll bet they'll have someone in Kansas City before Jonathan turns 18.
If I just got a hearing aid for the left ear, it would be $1000.
Even at $2000 (one for each ear), it's a lot less than my brothers and sisters have paid for their hearing aids.
Remember that when you go to get hearing aids.
“Discover Phonak’s unique solution for single-sided hearing loss.  The small transmitter placed behind or inside the ear that cannot benefit from a hearing aid picks up sound and transfers it wirelessly to your ear fitted with a hearing aid.  At the same time this hearing aid amplifies sounds coming directly to this ear.  Your hearing and understanding experience will improve and your communication capabilities will be better than ever.”
He says someone can whisper in your deaf ear and you'll be able to hear it in your other ear.
No special seating for me anymore.
It will be nice to drive a car and be able to hear the person talking in the passenger seat.  Or walk down the sidewalk with someone and not have to adjust sides.  Or hear the person sitting on my right in church.
“Try it for 30 days and if you're not satisfied, you get all your money back except for $100.”
That's fair.
DeRay had the presence of mind to wonder about my iPod that I like to listen to when I ride my trike and do housework.  He pulls out a thing from under his shirt.  It works like a blue tooth but it's about 2x3".  It hooks to your cell phone, iPod, TV, etc.  He just touches it and talks on the phone.  $400.  If I don't like that, I can return it in 30 days and get all my money back.
I can't help but be excited. 
It's weird having to turn your head every time someone talks. 
And it’s downright scary not being able to tell where sounds come from.  Not a clue.
Karen says Medicare is even paying a little bit on hearing aids now.  We'll have to look into that.
This is new technology.  Really just this year.  If I had gotten one four years ago when they first mentioned it, the two sides would have been connected by a wire which was always breaking and didn't work that well.  Most people have the surgery, called Baha, where they transplant something to the bone. ($20,000)  Mitch said that Dr. Shelton's surgery schedule has really been a lot lighter since this new transmitter became available.  I told him that I didn't know anyone else in the world had single-sided hearing loss.  I thought I was the only one.  Well OK, our grandson, Jonathan (Brent and Jan), Ron's grandson, Jack (Doug and Christy), and Karen's grandson, Nathan (Todd and Julie).  Oh yes, and Amy's friend, Judy, who runs the river with her; and now she's my friend too since I ran the river with her; also, Brent and Jan.  Judy had her tumor zapped with radiation but not before she lost her hearing on one side.
Common sense tells me to wait and write this blog after I get the hearing aids to see if I like them.
No.
Stories should have a happy ending.
What if I should hate them or lose them or they ring
and I couldn’t say, we lived happily ever after?

It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas in August.

No comments: