Of all the ways to flood a basement
a blocked sewer line
on a Sunday
is the most disgusting.
DeRay didn't want it to happen again
in January
when there is 4 feet of snow
on the frozen ground
so he
took affirmative action
and scheduled the work yesterday;
a nice, warm summer day.
He parked his chair
right by the hole
and watched all day long,
beginning at 7 AM.
I wish I had taken his picture.
The sewer line was down 8 feet.
Because we have a ground water problem here,
someone had put Orangeberg and gravel all around the house.
They had drilled six 1/2" holes 2" apart in the top of the sewer pipe
so the ground water would drain into the sewer line.
Totally illegal.
It worked for about 15 years
then we started having ground water problems.
Even though it's only been two or three months
since they cleaned the roots out of the sewer line,
two roots were growing in the pipe already.
It's good that DeRay was proactive.
(Besides that,
he likes to spend money.)
"Don't flush the toilet," DeRay calls on his cell phone, "it's an open pipe.
I'll call you when you can flush again."
Finally, Ed said, "Mind if I use the toilet if I don't flush."
I hadn't thought of that.
Smart.
When DeRay came in late in the afternoon
after Amy was home,
I teased:
"How much longer?"
"What?"
"You'd said you'd call when we could flush the toilets."
1 comment:
I just read all your blog posting to day. Like when I read my daughter Keri's letters, it make me tire seeing all the things that you get done and write about. I had a question on the trenches. Did you replace the creative French Drain or will you wait and see how it does. Their version of the drain left access for roots didn't it?
Post a Comment