Thors Hammer
We didn’t put puzzles together this year.
Well, I never put puzzles together.
Only Amy.
We packed them down.
We even bought a new one – a 3-d fox
charmer.
We also took Scrabble, Rummikub, Bananagrams, Sumoku.
We didn’t play one game together.
What did we do when we weren’t doing
something?
We watched sappy Hallmark Christmas movies
until we turned into saps.
Bristlecone Pines
Hiking down to Queen’s Garden,
I didn’t see anyone anywhere nearly as old
as I am
but it’s hard to tell how old
Chinese, Japanese and Indians from India
are.
Queen Victoria with an airplane flying out of her mouth.
Groomed trails behind Ruby’s Inn.
I just wore my boots.
Silence.
Beauty.
Fresh air.
Queen Victoria from above - the trail between Sunrise and Sunset.
Limber Pines
On our way back, we stopped at the
Visitor’s Center again.
“How come you don’t have a calendar deal?”
I asked the ranger behind the counter.
“We ran short of Bryce calendars this year
so we didn’t make the deal but I’ll give it
to you.”
They only had three Bryce calendars left
so I bought one and a Colorado Plateau one
(buy one get the second one half price);
a 3-D puzzle for Amy for her birthday;
a 3-D solar system card for Eddy.
We also gave Amy the watch she picked out
at SternMart.
SURPRISE.
Birthday lunch in dining room.
Mushroom sandwich for Amy; chicken wrap for
me.
Then the employees sang Happy Birthday to
her
and brought a huge brownie/ice
cream/whipping cream dessert w/a candle.
Fun.
They gave us the local discount
because we told them we were here last year
on her birthday.
“Amy, do you want to get
up and swim
or sleep in on your
birthday?”
She was in the pool in 10
minutes.
My knees ache;
my shoulder aches;
my tooth aches;
my right foot falls asleep in my new boots.
I’m old--
but I’m having a great time.
We were excited about
getting out to
our favorite loop at the
end of the Park.
Bristlecone Loop Trail.
It was a mess.
Rough.
I felt like John Muir stranded
on that glacier in Alaska.
“Let’s turn around and go
back, Amy.”
“I think it’s shorter to
go on.”
So we trudge on with all
the strength we have.
Amy took pictures of a
squirrel and a little bird.
I conserve my strength.
The snow is hard and
choppy.
Too many boots going too
deep.
If everyone had worn
snowshoes
we would have been OK.
We took the Yovimpa Point
trail shortcut to the parking lot.
We hardly went any
distance at all.
Taking off our snowshoes,
we walk to Rainbow Point.
Every year we stop at each
viewpoint going down.
No, the scenery doesn’t
visibly change
but the weather and snow
scene do;
plus we need to replenish.
Besides Black Birch
Canyon,
we stop at Ponderosa
Canyon,
Agua Canyon, Natural
Bridge, and Farview Point.
At Farview Point, we
walk to Piracy Point—
no snowshoes, no poles
because
we didn’t know we were
going until we went.
Lovely hike to make up for
the aborted Bristlecone Loop.
Winter quiet
Combines with the best air
quality
For unparalleled views.
I think this is Thors Hammer
Hoodoos and eroding fins
Queen Victoria riding the camel???
As I snowshoed in on the last evening after
dark, I thought:
I’m glad I didn’t ruin Amy’s trip by
breaking a leg
Or having a stroke
Or a heart attack
Or even a panic attack;
Or an anaphylactic reaction;
Or a bladder infection since I forgot my
pills for the first time ever.
(Don’t leave home without them.)
Or pneumonia, or asthma, or strep.
Or an eye infection or abscessed tooth.
Or an eye infection or abscessed tooth.
I didn’t get lost or disoriented.
If I break a leg now, she’s already had her
birthday trip.
I wouldn’t ruin anything.
So driving back to Ruby's Inn, I recite this
to her.
She deadpans,
“You’ve never broken a leg.”
“No, and I’ve never had a stroke or heart
attack either.”
But hey, it never hurts to be grateful.
This is where Amy disappeared off the face of the earth.
Tuesday morning at Paria Point.
Tuesday afternoon - almost home.
I didn’t want to come.
Now I don’t want to go home.
Totally smogged in.
“Let’s go back to Bryce, Amy.
Clear skies, warm sun.
Turn Around.
What were we thinking?
This gloom and muggy air pollution is
injurious to our health.
We can’t even see the mountains in front of
us.
I never remember an inversion this bad.”
Trouble with me is:
When I am gone,
All I can think about is being home.
I miss DeRay and Eddy.
I count the days and hours.
When I get home,
All I can think about is the clear, clean
air,
The pristine snow on the Hoodoos.
The hiking trails, the magnificent scenery,
The swimming pool just outside our door.
The maid who makes the bed and vacuums the
floors,
the Amy-pre-prepared meals that only have
to be warmed.
The sappy Hallmark movies.
Sharing all with my gentle, patient
daughter
Who fastens my snowshoes
Now that it’s such a pain to bend and
clasp.
The first pictures are Amy's
The last ones mine.










































2 comments:
Amazing photos!! The colors are almost surreal! I'm not sure I believe that there is non chewy air in Utah...
Looks like a Wonderful trip!
Bryce is more showy in winter than in summer, isn't it? And it's nice in summer!
Post a Comment