When
we were young
we were taught that young people are foolish
and old people are wise.
Now
we are old people,
and the world has changed,
Young
people think they are wise
and old people are foolish.
It’s
true in our case.
We
certainly were not thinking clearly
when we let a chiropractor talk us into
paying up-front $7,200 for 36 laser
treatments
on my knees.
“I’m
offering you a deal I’ve never made before,
both knees for the price of one.”
What
happened to our “Sleep on it overnight” rule?
“You never pay until services are rendered,”
Amy reminds us when we get home.
I
didn’t sleep.
Next
morning, I tell DeRay emphatically that I’m never going back.
We
were bullied, badgered, bamboozled.
“I’m
having Buyer’s Remorse,” I confess when I call to cancel.
“I need to renegotiate.”
“No.
You signed the contract.
We gave you time to talk about it. (Two minutes.)
You will be charged whether or not you come
in for treatment.”
“Have a heart. I made a mistake.”
“I’m sorry.”
I
didn’t go in. I couldn’t. Even if I lost over $7,000.
I
couldn’t sleep either.
It
weighed heavily on my heart and mind.
Like a death or illness.
Monday
was my next scheduled appointment.
JaNel called and wondered where we stood.
I had written a letter and was up at 3 AM
refining it.
“My husband is coming in today with a letter.”
“The doctor is busy. We will have to talk now.”
I
wanted DeRay to handle it but he insisted I talk to her.
He said I did better than he would have
because
he would have been calm and reasonable and
got nowhere.
I had passion.
My thoughts were clear because I had
formulated the letter.
“Two for the price of one?” I chant.
“That’s a salesman talking. That’s not treatment.”
“I have the best machine in the state of
Utah.
Only four in the United States; ten in the whole world.
At least three times he bragged about a
friend of his
Who treats NFL players and they use this
machine on them.”
I
could care less. That has nothing to do
with me.
After
talking to the doctor(?) she says he agrees to let
us out of the contract if we pay $400
more.
We
had paid $200 for the x-rays already on our “free” visit.
I want to contest but DeRay signals for me
to let it go.
Six-hundred is a lot better than $7,200.
We
stop in after the gym on Monday,
paying $400 more. She supposedly backed the $7,200
out of our credit card. (It hasn’t shown up yet.)
We sign a piece of paper saying basically
we won't slander him.
Hmmmm. Wonder why he would need that?
Meanwhile,
DeRay spent countless hours researching laser treatments.
He
called one in South Ogden who happened to have a cancellation
that very afternoon.
One
thing that concerned me,
almost as much as the money
was being gone three afternoons a week.
I
can barely keep up now.
I spend the first two hours of the morning
stretching, yoga, ball, roller, and preparing
breakfast.
I spend until 1 PM everyday with Ed
either at the gym or playing games, reading,
and stuff at home.
There’s not much time after lunch
before I start to prepare dinner at 4.
Today
in the afternoon, Eddy and I were going to clean the upstairs.
Now DeRay made an appointment.
It
was for 2:40.
We got home at 5:30.
“Don’t
you think that was smart of me to ask for the x-rays?”
I say to DeRay. “At least we won’t have to pay for them
again.”
Guess what?
He tried to use them but they were worthless.
Motion x-rays taken on an archaic machine
that couldn’t even be read
on an updated computer.
He
took new x-rays for the price of the film:
$60 – not $200.
“I
can’t wait to tell Amy,” DeRay deliberates,
“that we paid up-front and didn’t sleep on it
overnight--again.”
Twenty-two
treatments for $800.
20% discount if you pay in advance;
Two treatments free.
I can understand that.
It saves them a lot of hassle if they don’t
have to try to collect.
He
did an adjustment on each knee
that made me scream out in pain.
I have never done that in my life.
Never.
I moaned out loud when I had a bowel blockage;
I could almost hear myself even though I was totally out of it.
I moaned out loud when I had a bowel blockage;
I could almost hear myself even though I was totally out of it.
“Why did you have to do that?” I asked him about my knees.
“To break up the inflammation in the cells“--whatever--.
I feel so good about it.
We
got home after dinnertime.
I didn’t care.
Amy knows how to fend for herself.
I will just have to make better use of my
time.
I cleaned our bedroom and the hall at 8 PM,
after the dinner work was done,
with DeRay’s help.
Tomorrow
we’ll do the rest of the upstairs.
maybe.
or the next day.
Tomorrow’s
pretty busy.
choosing between the gym and DUP,
dental appointment for a filling at 2:30;
yearly dinner with Conley and Erika at 6.
I’m
not bogged down with dread
about how to manage my time and fit
everything in.
I’m
excited about having functioning pain-free knees again.
being able to stand up and sit down without
hurting;
go up and down the stairs,
bend down and rise back up;
bend down and rise back up;
walk, sleep.
So this is how God answers
prayers:
A feel-good happy feeling vs fear
and dread.
PS My only regret is that I didn’t get to send the letter that I spend five nights writing and thinking about.
The unsent letter ended:
Daddy
was killed in an accident when I was 10 years old but I still remember his
philosophy on people who wronged him.
They bought a milk cow from Parley Allred. It didn’t anywhere live up to what he claimed
and Mama wanted to march right down there, return the cow, get her money back,
and give him a piece of her mind. Daddy
said, “No. We just won’t do business
with him again.”
I
have a little bit of both Mama and Daddy in me, but mark my word; I definitely
will follow Daddy’s example and never do business with you again.
Just getting back from the dentist,
I'm thinking these laser treatments are a
bargain.
I paid over $200 last week for cleaning and
x-rays.
Today the bill was $426.60: one small filling
and some work on my two front upper teeth
to keep them from cracking. Fifty minutes
for me; 20 max for dentist.
False teeth?
for me; 20 max for dentist.
False teeth?
No comments:
Post a Comment