Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Fairyland Point


We leave later than usual for our afternoon snowshoe/ski trek.
It's Amy's birthday; we have lunch in the restaurant 
for the first and only time.
Complimentary birthday treat
4:30 before we start out for Fairyland Point.
Only an hour until dark.
We’ve never been on this trail;
we have no idea what to expect.
Amy skis on ahead of me and I soon lose sight of her,

Expecting to see her when I get to Fairyland Point.
No Amy.
Silence.
Where could she go on her skis?
I take a few pictures and start back slowly,
Hoping she will catch up with me along the way.
She is never in sight when I glance back.
Arriving at the car, I stretch;
I wait.
I sit in the car and play a game to distract me.
Should I call DeRay, the Ranger, or 911?
It’s pretty dark when she skis up.
She had taken off her skis and hiked down in.
She thought I would see her skis and know.
Of course, she’s OK.
I pictured her skiing off the edge on her birthday.
Or lying injured in the snow.
It would be a fluke if anything happened to her;
In spite of my vivid imagination.
But it was a fluke when Daddy fell to his death
When I was 10 years old.
It was two days before they found him.
That’s indelible.

No comments: