Going back in history to find something for my blog, I ran across this ditty.
(to the tune of Solomon Levi)
When I was barely six years old and
Jeanne was only three
We moved from our home in Bountiful
To build our own house you
see. (Brent)
¨
I cried because we couldn’t return
When it became dark and damp.
Our garage just didn’t suit me so
I prayed, “Bless us on our
camp.” (Jeanne)
¨
Dad was busy laying brick
When to 2nd grade I
was sent.
So involved was he ‘twas half past two
Before he asked, “Where’s
Brent?” (Brent)
¨
The painting, patching, and sweeping
Were all done by our mother.
Then lo and behold just before Christmas
One year, we got a Baby Brother.
¨
Even before we were used to taking
Orders from our little brother,
Be darned if Mama didn’t go to the hospital
And bring us home another!
¨
Now the house is almost done
We’re happy as can be
We’ve left weeds, beavers, pheasants, and skunks
To preserve the ecology!
¨
When ever you’re up Kaysville way
Please drop in anytime
The doors are always open to those
Fine relatives of mine!
¨
Chorus: ABC-DEFG-HIJKLM-NOPQRST-UVWX-Y-Z between each verse.
(Had to be
before Amy was born. Let’s say, 1973 or
early 1974. We moved into the main floor
of the house when Brooke was only a few months old. I think we completed the upstairs the same
year. We carpeted and papered the dining
room and living room just before Amy was born late 1974. We moved into the
garage just before Christmas 1969.)
We
consider The Farm our family home. It’s
where the children grew up. We moved
into the garage in December, 1969, when Brent was 6½ and Jeanne was 3½. Brooke, Eddy, and Amy were all born while we
lived there. We moved to Fruit Heights
in August of 1987. Brooke was 15¾ when
we moved; Eddy 14½ and Amy was 12¾.
Brent had been on his mission for 14-15 months when we moved; Jeanne was
still in the MTC learning French. Brent and
Jeanne lived there for 17¾ years except Brent was away to college for four of
those years and on a mission for more than one; so the actual years he lived
there was around 12 or 13 years. Jeanne
was away to college for two years and home for one year after high school
graduation so she actually lived there for 15¾ years. Jeanne and Brooke tie for most number of
years lived in the family home their dad built. However, DeRay and I lived there for 17¾
years without leaving so we are the true winners!
No comments:
Post a Comment