A
young fellow crossed under three floating lane dividers at the pool today to
talk to me. I thought, “Oh, no, what have we done wrong now?” “I just wanted to
tell you,” he began, “that I think it is a wonderful thing that you bring your
son to the pool. He does so well. I’ve been coming for a year now and it’s so
good to watch him swim.”
“Thank
you for your kind words,” I blubber.
“I’ll
bet it’s good for you too, isn’t it?” he said in parting.
“Definitely.”
I wanted to share with him my poem entitled “I thought I was Teaching my Son”
but I just smiled.
You
know what? I love kind people. What does it cost?
A
few years ago, a burly tattooed man at the pool visited with us telling us that
he took seminary with Eddy.
Upstairs
at the machines, a woman comes over and says Hi to Eddy. She said she was his
bus driver in elementary school (nearly 40 years ago). Her name gradually came to me: Barbara Ortega. We used to sit on the guard rail out on Fairfield and wait for the bus. We
liked to throw rocks into the hollow while waiting.
On
the other hand, I’m in Fine Arts Club with one of his old school teachers and
she doesn’t remember him at all. Of course, she doesn’t remember her own kids
and she asks me who I am three times while we’re talking and she’s telling me
her memory is improving. We were in the Ward with her when we first moved out
here in 1969 and I’ve been in club with her a couple of times.
From
“I Thought I was Teaching My Son”:
I thought I was teaching
my son about health and
exercise
as I took him to the gym,
where I got addicted
to aerobics
and sold on swimming.
No comments:
Post a Comment