Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Christmas I Remember Best

When we were little, we always lined up youngest to oldest to go into the front room to see what Santa brought on Christmas morn.  The night before, we carefully laid our clothes in proper sequence on the back of a chair for rapid dressing near the old wood burning stove.  We were required to be fully dressed before lining up.  I remember the harness garter belts that went up over our shoulders and hooked at the waist that the children wore in those days to hold up the despised heavy cotton long stockings.  It didn’t matter how carefully the garter belt was placed on the chair the night before, on Christmas morning it was invariably and hopelessly twisted as we shiveringly—half from cold and half from excitement—tried to untangle it.
Childhood Christmases were never a disappointment:  Not through the Great Depression, not through the War—although I vaguely do remember wondering how thrilled Daddy was with the dustpan he got one year, his only gift.  He seemed happy enough.  We were happy just to have him home for Christmas.  The next Christmas he wasn’t with us as he stayed out on the Arizona Strip with the sheep all winter long; the next Christmas, the same.  Then that May he was killed in a fall while tending his sheep in the Orderville Gulch, part of the Zion Narrows.  He was home for Christmas no more. 
Still Mama maintained the spirit of Christmas in our home.  We stood firmly by our traditions.  We always went to the Primary program on Christmas Eve at the church.  Afterwards, we went home and had our own program around the Christmas tree with a crackling fire providing warmth.  We read poetry and stories from the Ideals Magazine; we read the Christmas Story from the Bible; the older ones played instruments and we sang Christmas carols.  The room was always full because we were eight children strong; and we felt peace and love and contentment as well as excitement.
Even after I was married and we moved to Salt Lake City, I loved and cherished Christmas.  I liked everything about it.  I liked to stand at the window on the 16th floor of the Walker Bank Building (the highest building in town in those days) where I worked for U. S. Steel, and watch the hustle and bustle on the busy city streets.  As the fluffy snowflakes gently fell on the festivities below and the Christmas music caroled the shoppers along, I felt a keen excitement based on experience and expectation.  Our little tree on my Cedar chest in our one-room apartment in Stadium Village was just as elegant to me as was our eight-foot high tree glistening with angel hair and icicles in my childhood home in Orderville.
Gradually, however, as the years trickled by—perhaps it was because no children came to us—my excitement ebbed.  Sometimes I would get a flash but it seemed that more and more I was feeling let down and left out at Christmastime.  People in cities didn’t visit one another all day Christmas day as we did when I was growing up.  At least, no one visited us.  We had never been accustomed to lavish gifts and we neither could afford nor desired them now.
Even when we finally had two babies, sadly I could not recapture Christmas.  It was lost.  I hoped the children were excited.  While it was rewarding to shop and plan and dream for their surprises, I still felt a little removed, a little disappointed, a little rueful.
We moved away from the subdivisions of suburban life when our daughter, Jeanne, was three and Brent, our first-born, was six years old.  Here in our “cottage” (someday to be our garage but that doesn’t sound very romantic) securely tucked away from the mainstream of life, I couldn’t help but feel in awe at the wonders of the winterscene.  The Hollow’s snow laden trees shielded us from light and life of the outside world.  Surely here I could reassess my relationships and values and again feel the spirit of the season.  However, since we had no chimney for Santa to come down, we decided to go to Grandma’s house for Christmas that year.  The children were reluctant; they had never been away from home for Christmas but we assured them that Santa would surely find us at Grandma’s house as he had been there many times before.  So it was that in 1969, we traveled back to the home of my childhood where everyone visited everyone else on Christmas day.  It made memories; it brought back memories; but it did not rekindle that elusive tingle of excitement I had gradually lost.
The next Christmas we went back to Orderville to be with Mama, Uncle Ed, and Verla.  By this time, it had become a tradition and the next year when we couldn’t go down the children were disappointed.  On Christmas Eve, 1971, to our humble abode, we thankfully brought home from the hospital a beautiful baby boy, all snuggled in a Christmas stocking.
As Brent and Jeanne gleefully opened their gifts on Christmas morn, I sat in the old blue chair, holding and nursing our newborn son, feeling a perfect peace.  Love, contentment and joy, as well as excitement, permeated my soul—truly a consummation of all that Christmas had ever meant to me.  Truly my happiest Christmas ever. Christmas 1971
à
May a baby come to thee,
And lie beneath your Christmas tree,
In a cradle set with pine
Be a perfect present thine. . .
And, when the blessed day is done,
Birthday of God’s only son,
May your heart a cradle be
Needing not a Christmas tree,
For in your arms a babe will stay –
Every hour a Christmas day! --Author Unknown

Sent by Mama when Brooke Duffin Pugh was born on December 21, 1971.
Three years later when Amy Lyn was born on December 30, 1974, I wrote our own version of the poem:           
Two new babies came to us
And lie amongst the Christmas muss.
Also, one in March and two in May
Made each of those a Blessed Day.
For in all the world there’s nothing so sweet
As five little kids to make our family complete.
Even nighttime competition is keen
   for tiny Amy Lyn.
I’m sure those three think for parents
   to sleep a night through a sin!
One night Travis will spend throwing up;
   then Brooke to potty must go –
That’s hard with ghosts in the bathroom. 
    Next we soak an infected toe.
Of course, the two big ones are helpful
   as only children can be:
Hanging up dirty clothes, throwing
   down clean clothes for me.
They glue on the carpet, kick doors shut,
   need rides for 6 AM basketball.
“Mama, I forgot my lunch tickets;
   also my library books all.”
“Can you come and pick up
   my baritone and me?”
“Can Valori sleep over?” 
   “I need $10 for Scout fee.”
“It’s not my dog.”  “I fed
   the chickens yesterday.”
“I can’t set the table, I gotta
   made sure my piano’s OK.”
“Am I late home from school? 
   How’d it get to be seven?”
“When I’m nine, I’m going
   to stay up until eleven.”
Grandma thinks we’re a house
   of confusion and fuss,
Make no mistake; we’re glad
   the children came to us.
For in our house our babes will stay
   Making every hour a Christmas Day!


Our two Christmas Babies:
Brooke Duffin born December 21, 1971
Amy Lyn born December 30, 1974


Then on a birthday/Christmas card we sent to Brooke in 1991 when he was on a mission in Germany, we wrote:
You were the baby who came to stay
Making every hour a Christmas Day!
Serious and silent, smart and mild,
I sometimes wonder, were you ever a child?
Your spirit is expansive, wise beyond years;
You steadied our ship when we shed our tears.
Twenty years since we heard that knock
And brought you home in a Christmas sock;
Now miles away, you’re the one
Proclaiming the message of God’s only son.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  MERRY CHRISTMAS!
                    WE LOVE YOU!

MEMORIES OF CHRISTMAS 1990: Brooke, Eddy, and Amy taking off in a snowstorm on Christmas Eve to house-and-dog sit in Salt Lake for his horn teacher, leaving the four of us—the original family—home together for the first time in nineteen years and for the last time before our first one was to be sealed to her eternal mate in four days. 


No comments: