Sunday, June 19, 2016

Perplexing

Dreams are an enigma.
Perplexing.
Last night I dreamed I was sitting in my car
Just down from Aunt Lucy’s house
In my hometown of Orderville.
A car roared by,
Then backed up and stopped.
For some reason, I was in the passenger side;
No one in the driver’s seat.
The car door opened
And this girl leaned in to hug me.
“Lorene!
You don’t look any older than you did in high school.
How did you do that?”
We hugged for a long time.
She was clear as could be.
“You are here just in time to go to our class reunion.”
I was so excited.
Then I realized that I hadn’t sent her an invitation.
She died suddenly nearly 36 years ago;
not quite 45 years old. 
Every classmate, except Dalene and I, will be 80 years old at reunion.
I always hoped there would be a time when it was rewarding to be youngest in the class.
It was pretty painful growing up.
I just found out that Norman doesn't turn 80 until September 27.
He won't be to reunion.
He has to take care of an invalid wife, who is younger than he is.
We didn't go to elementary school with the Alton and Glendale kids,
so I don't know their birth dates like I do the Orderville and Carmel kids.
Lenore's birthday is in September
and Odean's is in the fall sometime.
More young ones than I thought
who haven't yet turned 80.

No comments: