Monday, June 20, 2016

Where God Is

It’s 5:30 on Friday afternoon.
Amy and I are in a restorative yoga class
  at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird.
We’re facing a wall of windows
  viewing the majestic mountains,
  a roaring river and an inspiring waterfall.
It’s achingly beautiful.
Our bodies are moving gently.
I feel the presence of God
  with gratitude for our abundance
  and the beauty within and without.
I think of my grandson, Isaak,
  taking out his endowments
  in the temple prior to his mission.
His session starts at 5:30.
DeRay & I don’t have temple recommends
  because they refuse to give Eddy a recommend
  to take out his endowments.
Twenty-one years now
  since first we asked
  when Brooke and Elizabeth were getting married.
There isn’t a day pass
  but what Eddy doesn’t say how much he loves the temple.
“I am worthy to go to the temple,”
  he said twenty-one years ago.
We are not bad people.
Not wicked or evil.
We are moral.
We take care of our own,
Trying not to hurt anyone;
We are hardworking and diligent.
Honest, trustworthy, independent.
We raise a garden.
We feel strongly that Eddy should be present
  for significant sacred family events –
  starting with his brother’s wedding.
We refuse to leave him out
  to be alone while family gathers.
We will stand by him;
  be with him.
  even if we have to miss blessed family events ourselves.
“That’s your choice,” the bishop said bluntly.
For no good reason.
Can God be in two places at once?
I felt His presence at Snowbird.
I’m sure Isaak felt His presence in the temple that day.
In our hearts, we know our place is with Eddy.
Isaak has lots of family and friends and potential.
Eddy has us and a very kind and forgiving heart.

No comments: