Tuesday, November 2, 2010

DÉJÀ VU

 
Sometimes I am totally irrational;
A traumatic childhood experience
Still vivid in my conscious memory
Probably tucked deep in my psyche
To torment me 64 years later.
Mama, Daddy, two of my brothers and one little sister
Out to the herd to tend the sheep;
Lambing season you know.
Daddy was not one to shirk responsibility
Even through he had been weak and sick;
Possibly pneumonia; maybe allergic to the sulfa
Doctor Fen had prescribed.
Ten years old, I though I was getting grown up.
I even practiced the pose I would strike
So Daddy would notice when he came home.
He never came home.
My 14-year old brother drove the pickup in
On that Sunday afternoon to get help
When Daddy didn’t come back to camp
After his morning shepherding.
My uncle and cousin went out.
Hundreds of neighbors and friends
Searched for him
Before he was found dead on Tuesday
At the bottom of a cliff where he had slipped.
Mama’s big extended family rallied around her.
She had eight children
Ranging in age from barely 1 to barely 18.
My husband was late returning home
From a business trip last night.
Only one-half hour.
My irrational fears besieged me.
I trembled.
DÉJÀ VU
I knew he wouldn’t come.
He did.
Why can’t I get over it?
3:49 AM

No comments: