Today at the Olympic-size pool
We had a near catastrophe
When Ed took off his goggles
His artificial eye was missing.
This is the first day in a whole year
That we were the only ones in the pool
The water was calm; visibility excellent.
Still I panicked.
I didn’t see how we could find it
Before it was sucked up in the filtration system.
I looked for a minute.
I thought I saw it.
I dove.
Nothing.
Should I get the two swimmers
Who were stretching out on the edge of the pool
to help me look;
First I’ll ask the life guard.
He found it in a few minutes;
But I still had to get it off the bottom
Before it moved.
I picked it up with my toes
And in a rare act of flexibility
Was able to grab it with my hand before it dropped.
The last time Ed lost his artificial eye
He was in elementary school.
It was the day of the failed
Iran hostage rescue attempt.
“You think you’ve got problems,”
the principal joked,
“What about President Carter?”
It did put things in perspective.
The whole school searched;
One of the students found it;
Believe it or not.
Another time, it came out by our pool
After dark.
Everyone looked and one of the boys
Found it on the deck close to the pool;
Or was it Amy?
How many painful expensive surgeries
has he had to build the eye socket:
With nothing in, it quickly shrinks.
Small miracles.
Eventually the hostages were set free
But Carter didn’t get re-elected.
The Iran hostage crisis was a diplomatic crisis between Iran and the United States. 52 US citizens were held hostage for 444 days from November 4, 1979 to January 20, 1981, after a group of Islamist students and militants took over the Embassy of the United States in support of the Iranian Revolution.
Sixty-six Americans were taken captive when Iranian militants seized the U.S. Embassy in Tehran on Nov. 4, 1979, including three who were at the Iranian Foreign Ministry. Six more Americans escaped and of the 66 who were taken hostage, 13 were released on Nov. 19 and 20, 1979; one was released on July 11, 1980, and the remaining 52 were released on Jan. 20, 1981.
The episode reached a climax when, after failed attempts to negotiate a release, the United States military attempted a rescue operation, Operation Eagle Claw , on April 24, 1980, which resulted in a failed mission, the destruction of two aircraft and the deaths of eight American servicemen and one Iranian civilian. It ended with the signing of the Algiers Accords in Algeria on January 19, 1981. The hostages were formally released into United States custody the following day, just minutes after the new American president Ronald Reagan was sworn in.
When Ed was small looking at his baby book,
He exclaimed:
“There’s good looking ole Eddy.”
Now he’s acculturated,
He doesn’t say that anymore.
He says,
“Gosh, I’m ugly.”


No comments:
Post a Comment