Wednesday, November 17, 2010

SNOWBIRD 2010

 SNOWBIRD 2010
September 18-25, 2010
“I hope I don’t have to put up with her all week,” says Ed on the day we leave for Snowbird.
“I hope I don’t have to put up with you all week,” counters Amy.
“I’m glad I don’t have to put up with either one of you,” chirps Dad.
But at the end of the week, Ed says, “I love Amy, Mom.  I didn’t get to see much of her.”
She drove to Salt Lake to work everyday.
Herriman Fire
 Sat.  The first evening.
Saturday, September 18, 2010
I’m a little despondent tonight.  Our first night.  It’s always hard.  Lonely.  Whoever isn’t here you miss:  DeRay, Ed, my sisters.  Anyone who has been here before.  Amy is compelled to her computer.  I only brought one book.  I can’t finish it tonight.  I should have brought more.  I can’t be without.  We finally went for a walk.  Amy enjoyed taking pictures.  I can’t get interested.  Hers are always so good.  I was a wee bit excited about wearing my new MBT shape-up shoes.  I feel like I’m going to fall.  It’s a bit like walking on stilts.  I should have taken my walking sticks.  I like the shoes.  They feel good.  Nevertheless,  I took them off the minute we got back.  Amy says she is feeling better just recently—doesn’t feel so tired.  I was dismayed that my knees hurt so much.  I was about ready to bear my testimony re my knee recovery.  Tonight while walking, I couldn’t catch my breath, my knees hurt; I couldn’t believe how I have deteriorated in a year.  I hate to get old. I can’t hear or see or walk.  Amy said it took a good two years for her knee to get better.  “Yeah, but you had an injury and could heal.  Mine is obviously arthritis and old age and can only get worse.”  It’s a bitter pill to swallow sometimes—especially graciously.  I didn’t go on a hike for the first time this year.
Sun.  Dad brought Ed up on Sunday afternoon.  I fixed Manicotti because I thought Aunt Olive was coming and she’s Italian.  We went to bed at 10.  Ed was a good sport about it.  “Thank you for inviting me, Mom, my favorite week has arrived.  I’m having a good time, even though it’s sickening.”  There was a big fire down in the valley this evening that burned for several days.
Mon.  “I enjoyed going to bed early,” Ed said this morning, “I want to do it again tonight.”  In the evening, I went to the pool with Amy.  We were the only ones there; almost a full moon.  Beautiful and serene beyond comprehension.  Spiritual.
Tues.  Ed came up to our unit after water workout, got dressed and took himself down to the family movie at noon (while I was on a geology tour).  “Now I’ve seen two bad movies.”  Went to pool with Amy.  A little raccoon came to the pool.  I thought he was going to jump in so I jumped out.  Amy to bed at 9:30.  Ed has been so compliant.  I know I’m driving Amy crazy.  I’m not as compliant.
Ed wearing hat, using walking stick.
Red-Leaf Aspen
Wed.  Hiked up to the Cliff for the Oriental run tour.  It (temporarily) wasn’t raining.  We rushed there only to wait.   A lady in a red sweater with a red purse was lolling about so I asked her if she was going on the tour.  “What tour?”  I told her she could join us.  The couple from Wisconsin (who were also to the Welcome Reception and on the geology tour) finally found the Marco Polo where we were supposed to meet and as we sat talking, someone asked where everyone was from.  The woman in the red sweater said she was from Southern Utah.  “Oh, I was raised in Southern Utah.”  “Where?”  “Orderville.”  “I have an aunt who was raised in Orderville.”  “Who is your aunt?”  “Her name is Shirley Esplin Hart.”  “Guess what?  She’s my sister.  Who do you belong to?”  “I’m Jane’s daughter.”  “Is your husband the judge?”  “Yes, I’m Cherie.”   We only lasted about half the tour. It was time for the adult movie at Iron Blosam.  We walked to the Snowbird Center down all those slow stairs in a driving rain.  We were soaked through so we completely changed clothes when we got back before he went to the movie.  Two wonderful hours to myself.  I’m right to the end of The Thirteenth Tale – a mystery and I want to finish it in peace and quiet.  I left the pizza out, knowing Amy would know to cook it and went down to the Wildflower for Vera’s presentation.  It was uplifting, which surprised me.  It was a bunch of senior beauty queens and contestants – singing, preaching, showing off their talents.  One former queen designs and makes the blueprints for houses, has her General Contractor license, designs and sews ski apparel (had her own company); make jewelry, sews everything including wedding dresses; writes poetry, makes calendars, photo albums – no end to what she has done and can do.  Paints.  Vera did her AA spiel, Isaiah 40 – whatever – you know The 12 Points.  I took the croissants down to Vera’s earlier but I had no intention of going down to eat with her senior beauty queens.  I’d had my fill of perfection.  After pizza we went to the pool.  We told Ed about the wondrous full moon so he went down but alas, it was cloudy and we saw no moon.  It was supposed to be the biggest moon in whatever.
THURS.  After breakfast, I went down to lap swimming.  Ed came down on his own at 10, wearing a hat!  (I told him he couldn’t go to water workout unless he wore a hat.  He’s always refused to wear a hat because he doesn’t like to get his hair messed up.)  After lunch, Ed and I walked on the Handicap Trail, taking pictures of him in his cool hat.  It has taken me clear until Thursday to calm down – to rejuvenate, to rejoice.  We went swimming earlier because Amy said it wouldn’t be so crowded.  Just the three of us in the pool.  Lovely.  Ed did his laps.  I played.  Amy did her routine.  Later Amy and I went for a walk down to Creekside.  Stretched.  Enjoyed the Christmas lights and the Big Moon.  Ed & I went to bed before Amy.
Red/Yellow Leafed Aspen
FRI.  We just missed the tram.  “If you had hurried, we could have made the tram,” I accuse Ed, “then we could have relaxed.”  “You don’t know how to relax,” he counters.  We hurried back from our walk on the handicap trail and caught the 2:30 tram.  I’ve never been there when it’s been so warm.  Lovely.  Surf & Turf, egg plant, baked potato for dinner.  DeRay was our guest.  I won a free movie at the Welcome Reception so Amy picked one out.  Blind Side.  We all enjoyed it.  A true story.  DeRay and Ed left at 10.  Amy is playing solitaire.  DeRay brought up my birthday present – a kindle.  Now I must read!!!!
The Photographer
SAT.  After checking out, we got swim passes and swam and visited until noon.  I was ready to go home.  Amy said I had been here all week, this was her first day, she worked everyday; she wanted to enjoy the beauty all around.  We drove up to Alta, planning to maybe hike to Cecret Lake but it was hot and we noted that the more vibrant colors were lower down.  I love the red and yellow aspens that DeLoy says don’t exist.  Actually, he says red leafed aspen don’t exist.  (He's a professional forester.)  We stopped at a little trail and found a cove to eat our lunch with rock benches.  Everything you do with Amy turns out spiritual.  She has this knack of making simple everyday things meaningful.

No comments: